Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to Potty Train Parrot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: How to Potty Train Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 pm

No, do not do this. There have been stories/rumors about birds being so anxious for food that they would hold in their poop for too long and get sick from it. Instead, it's better to teach the bird WHERE it should go to the bathroom and not when. This is safest, useful, and least intrusive.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Blackfang320 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:35 pm

what if i showed her affection? like gave her a kiss or pet her or said good girl or something? and thanks for the answer =)
Blackfang320
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinn. Turq, Green cheek

Postby patdbunny » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:03 pm

I don't really know if birds consider a kiss a reward for anything. Yes, we give a little scratch and say "good boy" when Ducky potties after the cue.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby midlandhippy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Blackfang320 wrote:hi i was wondering if it would be a good idea to give my GCC a treat as a reward for going to the bathroom in the right spot? :gcc: its really appricated thanks =)

I would also like to know the answer to this if someone can help?
midlandhippy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Quaker

Postby coolhady13 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:26 am

Thank you a lot Michael . i been trying it with my cockatiel . and finally he got it . :hatched: :hatched: :danicing: :danicing:
:greycockatiel: Missy
coolhady13
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgies , cockatiel

Postby tashadoll » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:56 am

For those of you with flighted birds, does anyone have a situation where the bird just goes back to the poop spot on it's own to poop without a command?
tashadoll
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:36 am

Yeah, pretty much.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby coolhady13 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:17 pm

tashadoll wrote:For those of you with flighted birds, does anyone have a situation where the bird just goes back to the poop spot on it's own to poop without a command?

nope :( mines poop spot is inside of his cage , and no command would get him to inside his cage :D i have to put each 20 minutes in his cage and he knows that he should poop
:greycockatiel: Missy
coolhady13
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgies , cockatiel

Postby Tipsacon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:34 am

tashadoll wrote:For those of you with flighted birds, does anyone have a situation where the bird just goes back to the poop spot on it's own to poop without a command?

Mine does so
Tipsacon
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel

Postby nagelsan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:33 pm

my cockatoo will never poop on you.
If he needs to go, he'll bite your hand softly like 5 times in a row and you'll know that you'll have to put him on the stand or wathever.
If he is on your lap, he'll just poop at the end of your knee, knowing it will end up on the ground.
I don't know how he got this far, but i am happy about it.
Sometimes, before i enter a shop, he'll poop on command, but at home he'll just tries not to poop on you, which is enough.
My eclectus has the same, he'll poop on the stand and in his cage, but not on you. (both knew that before they came)
My grey and my senegal both have something new that drives me crazy.
Our cages are upstairs and i take them out to play and interact on the large stand downstairs.
Lately they will always drop a very big one, when i am halfway down.
Even if i wait with them in my hand like half an hour in their own room, they will poop halfway down the stairs.
Putting newspapers down wont help, because then the'll do it before or after we passed the papers.
It is two stairs down and i have a little girl, so i can not have newspapers staying on the stairs, because she will fall down.
I tried newspapers halfway between the first and second stairs and keep them above, but they just won't do it then.
Anybody any idea?
i dont mind if it is in the livingroom, because i can whipe it up easely, but on the stairs we have carpet.......
nagelsan
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey, Senegal Parrot, White cockatoo

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care