Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Newly moved bird is now much louder.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Newly moved bird is now much louder.

Postby Thundrhorse » Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello I recently moved into a family member's apartment because my house is being renovated and I have to keep my birds outside on the patio. My Conure has always been loud but since we moved here he has been screaming nonstop and I don't want to reward his sudden bad behavior and take him out of the cage while he is screeching. I can deal with it but I don't want to irritate the neighbors. Is it because he is used to being next to me in the house or what? Would getting his wings clipped or something make him more quiet?
Thundrhorse
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird, Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Newly moved bird is now much louder.

Postby liz » Thu May 03, 2018 5:24 am

DO NOT CLIP HIS WINGS. That would be like shopping of the feet of a person.

He has separation anxiety. He is used to being with you and you, according to how he feels, are neglecting him. Spend more time with him in his new area. Let him know that you like it there too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 03, 2018 9:27 am

Liz is absolutely correct. Please do NOT clip his wings, you will only make things worse because it would increase his anxiety tenfold. He is in unfamiliar 'territory' and, most likely, his routine has been completely disrupted and I bet you are not spending as much time with him as before so he is confused, lost, anxious and scared. You need to make sure that his routine is still exactly the same and that you spend even more time with him so as to reassure him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 am

Rainbow and Myrtle are shoulder birds and like to travel with me as I do my daily chores. If yours is a shoulder bird take him with you as you walk through the house so he can claim it as his too.

I made the mistake of thinking that Rainbow was enjoying his new her new home by sitting in the window. The truth was that he was so confused that the outside did not look right. I carried him around and set a place at the dining room table for him is the only reason that he came out of it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Tue May 15, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm kind of going through similar, the bird is adjusting and needs your attention and love.
Don't give in to the squeals. Act like no big deal. But spend time with him. And for the love of God, don't clip the wings!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to General Parrot Care