Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

For fun! Senegal gender guess

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

For fun! Senegal gender guess

Postby Lynxx89 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Wondering if anyone with a lot more experience seeing senegals could take a few stabs at guessing this little cuties gender. We are just calling "him" Rex for the time being. Pretty outgoing and curious, cant wait to start teaching some tricks and seeing if we are gonna be a talker! :senegal:

Lynxx89
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Dusky Conure
Flight: No

Re: For fun! Senegal gender guess

Postby Lynxx89 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Well those turned out a lot bigger than I expected.
Lynxx89
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 03, 2018 9:29 am

For what I can see from the chest, it's a girl but check the tail undercoverts, if they are green, it's a girl, if they are yellow, it's a boy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Lynxx89 » Thu May 03, 2018 10:45 am

It is only 10-11 weeks, the undercoverts are a mix of yellow and green at the moment. Its mother was pied so I'm not sure how that might effect things. LOL I will try to get a good pic up this weekend.
Lynxx89
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 03, 2018 11:02 am

Oh, my, that's a very young baby! You are feeding it two kinds of soft food, served warm and fresh twice a day, right? Because although breeders tell you they are weaned, in reality, they are not and the same way that you would not sit a toddler in front of a plate with adult food and call it a day, baby birds need soft food that is not only easy to eat and digest but also comforting to them.

And, yes, you will have to wait until the bird is an adult but, usually, any sign of green in the ventral coverts means female.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Lynxx89 » Thu May 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes, it is getting soft foods and has developed an appetite for mango. Rex hasn't come home yet, but we get to visit 2-3 times a week for bonding and getting to know one another. He/she yells at the formula and refuses it, but Amy(the breeder) still offers just to make sure. We have all been taking guesses as to the gender so I thought I would post on here. He will be coming home Sat. which I believe will put him/her right at 12 weeks. These pics were taken a week or two ago.
Lynxx89
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 04, 2018 9:23 am

Fruit is not soft food, it's produce. Soft food is things like gloop, polenta, couscous, pastina, etc cooked and mixed with pureed veggies at the beginning and finely chopped ones after. It needs to have protein in it, not just fruit or veggies. Breeders will jump them from formula to adult food -much easier and cheaper for them but bad for the birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Lynxx89 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:58 am

It's a girl! Lol, shes doing great and starting to mess around with all kinds of vocalizations!
Lynxx89
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care