Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot sitting.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Parrot sitting.

Postby stevesjk » Tue May 15, 2018 1:55 am

Yes mate its not really practical, parrots usually give you up for dead after 2 days then begin a grieving process so your returns would confuse the hell out of it, in addition it would probably bond to its new caregiver while you were away and lose interest in you.

You could use this time to research and then get one when you're in a better position?
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby GreenWing » Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am

Yes, there's the risk that you and the bird would need to re-bond upon your return from deployment. Birds are smart, though, and some species are more hardy than others with change. I think a stable environment is more important for the bird. If you deployed you would want to ensure that the bird is in very safe care. The bird would remember you when you returned.

My spouse leaves for weeks for his job and Chance has no issue with it, although I'm her "person." When he calls, though, he says hi to Chance and she knows it is him.

What kind of parrot are you looking into getting?
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 am

I don't think the OP was actually asking the question. It look a if he used the posting just to embed links on it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care