Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Possibly rehoming my parrots

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Possibly rehoming my parrots

Postby Cabrinson » Wed May 23, 2018 8:28 pm

Hello,

I have two parrots but lately my life is gotten busy to the point where I’m rarely home and if i am home it’s either to work or sleep before I have to leave again. This leaves both of my parrots stuck i their cages for days at a time with only an hour or so out in the morning or before bed a few times a week. I feel horrible about this and I’m now considering rehoming them.

I am extremely particular about who I’d let them go to, to the point that giving them back to the store or giving them to a rescue makes me feel somewhat cautious. I’m not sure what to do. I’m sure things will slow down but I’m not sure when and I feel bad to keep making them suffer.

I’m not sure what to do and any feedback would be so appreciated..
Cabrinson
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Possibly rehoming my parrots

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 24, 2018 9:31 am

Well, this type of decision is always entirely the owner's decision - and this decision is always based on subjective points but, if they are spending their days in a cage all alone, all day long, personally, I would rehome them.; But NEVER to a store! And, although bird rescues are absolutely necessary with the huge overpopulation problem we have AND there are very good rescues, I would always try to find my birds a home on my own instead of putting them anywhere on a temporary basis. Parrots don't do well with change and leaving their home to go to a rescue or a store just to be switched over to a still another new home after a while is not good for them. Maybe you can find a rescue that would allow you to keep the birds in your home while they screen possible candidates, with you having the last say-so in the matter. But, if you are going to rehome them yourself directly to another home please make sure that the potential adopters have:

- experience
- an avian vet [and check it out]
- financial means
- stability [young people always want birds but they simply do not have stable lives]
- and, most of all, that there is always somebody home

And -VERY IMPORTANT!- do a home inspection! Because people lie through their teeth and you need to make sure that they will end up in a good, clean home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Julie Webb » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:36 pm

I strongly agree with all Pajarita wrote. Parrots are lifetime companions, to owners they are much more than just ordinary pets. The decision you have to make won't be an easy one, but you need to double-check every detail, form potential owner's experience and knowledge on birds, to his home.
I don't know have you considered a bird sitter as an option? Perhaps you could try that before rehoming them, that way both you and the birds will be less traumatized. If it turns out to be a good option, even better, you can keep the birds but still have them properly taken care of!
Good luck!
Julie Webb
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby liz » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:28 am

I have rehomed a few animals over the years. I don't give them up unless they can have a better life than I was giving them.

My birds find their own ways to enjoy their days without me even though I am here.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care