Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Parrot Wing Clipping

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal Parrot Wing Clipping

Postby lac575 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 pm

How did clipping your Senegal parrots wings change his/her behavior?
lac575
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot (Poichephalus senegalus)
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegal Parrot Wing Clipping

Postby liz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:38 am

Clipping causes emotional problems as well as the physical of not being able to get the exercise that a flighted parrot does. Clipped parrots have all kind of emotional problems such as fear, depression and eating habit changes.
Those of us who take in clipped birds have to give them extra attention to make up for their loss. When the feathers grow back in the bird is much more calm and loving. Because it can get the exercise that is needed for birds it is healthier.
I would never clip a wing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Senegal Parrot Wing Clipping

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 am

I've only clipped one single bird in my entire life and it was a male senegal that hated all humanity, in general, and me in particular because his beloved [a female senegal he fell in love with at first sight when he came to me] loved me to pieces. This bird relentlessly attacked me every single chance he had, every single day, for over 3 years. I had bites and scars all over my body to the point that I had to explain to people that I did not suffer from some weird disease, that they were bird bites. He was the only bird I have ever been afraid of, the only bird that I thought I would never tame as well as the only bird that made me dread going into the birdroom -which has always been a great pleasure to me. Almost at the end of the second breeding season, he was flying much better [he had spent 11 years in a smallish cage] plus he was stronger and healthier AND he had gotten very smart about attacking me when I took my eyes off him for one second so, in desperation, I clipped him. It was a bilateral, mild clip so as to allow him a certain amount of movement and meant only to slow him down a bit but, to him, after 'tasting' freedom [he lived cage-free] for the first time in many years, it was devastating! He hid for three days! Now, you might think that this must have made me happy but, in truth, I regretted it almost instantly and felt like the worst scum on this earth! And, to put the icing on the cake, it did nothing for his aggression.
He is fine now. It took 3.5 years for him to, gradually, stop his attacks and another 1.5 for him to accept me as a friend but we are OK with each other - and he is the smartest bird I have [a veritable genius when it comes to cognitive speech].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care