Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where do you get your's?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Where do you get your's?

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 am

I amjust wandering cause it is fun to no what stores are out there. Where do you get your bird supplies and your bird? Also is the place you get those things a nice store with good service? :senegal: :amazon: :caique: :macaw: :gray: :eclectus: :galah: :lovebird: :swaying: :budgie: :quaker: :hatching: :airmail: :cockatiel: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
budgiebuddy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Where do you get your's?

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 9:36 am

I got two of my birds (Piper and Shade) from breeders, one (Joey) was bought through want adds (ironically, I knew his former owner, which probably helped in me getting Joey in the end) and two through a rescue (Petey and Zuri).

As for supplies, I'm buying them more and more from online bird stores which I've read great reviews from. I occasionally still buy stuff from two small local pet stores but the choice of toys is basically almost always the same so that is why I started looking online...plus, the prices seem generally better online.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby HyperD » Wed May 12, 2010 11:13 am

I got my sennie from a breeder about 4 hours up the road. I don't think there are many pet stores locally that sell senegals so it was my only option. Having said that I was quite pleased, she was very tame when I got her and I don't really have any complaints.

Supplies I got online. Again the local stores do have bird stuff but the range is pretty minimal and as Natacha pointed out they don't change their range much so it's always the same things..
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Yeah i have noticed that they dont have great options So do you buy from differnt places every time or the same one? What is the website?
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Well Scooter came from Petsmart, but we wouldn't have set out to get a bird from there. It was one of those things... I do buy some toys and stuff there, and his food and other things from a local store that is very bird-oriented (Andersen's in Montrose). And I buy some stuff online from Bird.com and from DrFostersandSmith.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby notscaredtodance » Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm

I get little treats and cheapo preening toys from the pet store, I get my roudybush from a local vet office, and cage accessories, larger more heavy duty toys I get online.

Although a LOT of toys I get the parts for online (Stainless steel bolts, knuts, wingknuts, washers, cardboard rings, beads, wood blocks) and make them myself with leather strings.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Natacha » Wed May 12, 2010 2:44 pm

budgiebuddy wrote:Yeah i have noticed that they dont have great options So do you buy from differnt places every time or the same one? What is the website?

I shop around.

My favorite online store is based in Quebec and the language is French so I don't know if people will want the link.. :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby miajag » Wed May 12, 2010 2:49 pm

I got my Quaker from someone who couldn't/didn't want to take care of her anymore. I was incredibly lucky to get a healthy, well-behaved bird in that situation.

If/when I get another bird (likely an African Grey or White-fronted Amazon in a couple years' time) it will most likely either be from a breeder or a rescue, or an adoption like this one. While there are obvious advantages to getting a young hand-raised bird from a breeder, there are so many unwanted birds out there that it's getting harder and harder for me to justify not adopting or rescuing.

Oh, and I bought her cage and travel cage online via Amazon, and most of her food/toys/accessories from local pet shops and places like Petsmart.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby budgiebuddy » Wed May 12, 2010 6:14 pm

notscaredtodance wrote:I get little treats and cheapo preening toys from the pet store, I get my roudybush from a local vet office, and cage accessories, larger more heavy duty toys I get online.

Although a LOT of toys I get the parts for online (Stainless steel bolts, knuts, wingknuts, washers, cardboard rings, beads, wood blocks) and make them myself with leather strings.

WOW you are so dedicated!!!!!!!!!!! I love it I am planning to start getting stuff online once i get a senegal because right now my budgie doesn't destroy his toys to much so i dont have to replace them often so i just get them at the local petstore
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 pm

I've been making chew-up toys myself, too. I got a little starter kit with an assortment of parts from Fosters and Smith and I combine with bird kebab bits, leather bits, and whatnot. I'm about out of wood blocks, though, time to order some more!

Hey, when you guys buy toys and stuff , do you always wash them before giving them to your bird?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Next

Return to General Parrot Care