Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green cheek sleeping habit question

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Green cheek sleeping habit question

Postby dohcsvt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:42 pm

We have a 9 year old green cheek conure named Ollie. My wife has noted a couple times over those 9 years that if she gets up in the night Ollie is making a lot of noise... and she wondered if he just slept poorly or if she disturbed him?

Anyway, I have had shoulder surgery and have been sleeping in the recliner for a few weeks. I have noticed that Ollie stirs and tweets ALL NIGHT. He is covered and the room is dark and I am making no noise. He tweets and stirs the whole time I try to fall asleep. He also is tweeting and stirring anytime I wake up in the night. Is this normal for a green cheek? He seems happy and healthy. Our sun conure sleeps like a brick all night. Thanks for any responses. :gcc: p
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.
Flight: No

Re: Green cheek sleeping habit question

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:23 pm

He is not used to you being there and wakes whenever you stir.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby dohcsvt » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:54 am

Yes, that would be my first thought also. However, I am talking about lying perfectly still trying to fall asleep and just waking up in the night... not rolling over or stirring in any way. Addis, I think some of my awakenings are caused from his stirring... LOL.
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 am

Is it possible that he is being free-fed protein food [seeds, nuts, pellets, avicakes, nutriberries, etc] and that he is not following a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk? Because melatonin [the hormone that makes us go to sleep and remain asleep] production goes out of whack when the endocrine system is screwed up...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care