Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Question about parrot move overseas

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Question about parrot move overseas

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 am

Hey everyone,

Well life is weird, I ended up quitting my job outside of Portland and came back to Portland, and now that I am back home, we received some news that my husband may have the option to work in Italy, if we so choose to relocate there. If we do make the choice, Chance loves pasta so I think she would love Italy and the nice weather :lol:

What comes to mind is how to get Chance to make the trip across the pond, because it's not a simple process. Fortunately you can take your pet in a crate as carry on (because no way would I be OK with any other alternative). But, from what I understand after talking with our avian vet, Chance needs to go through some tests for papers as an exotic animal, to ensure she is healthy and can enter another country. At this moment I can't remember the process entirely but I know it can take time. For one Avian certification, it can take about 6 months, from what I remember. I will probably need to discuss this with my Avian vet more (who is great) while looking into Italy's requirements.

Does anyone have any information about this? Has experienced this? Also, how stressed would Chance be on a plane? I don't particularly like flying myself but the bigger planes are much more comfortable.

Michael, can you weigh in on how your birds feel on a plane while you are flying? Do they notice turbulence? I know they're birds are are natural pilots but still curious :mrgreen:

Thanks!
Last edited by GreenWing on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Question about parrot move overseas

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:40 am

Yes, you need health certificates AND a CITES one for grays and that might take time. As to the actual requirements and which specifically you will need, you need to check with the Italian government [contact the embassy] because each country has different ones but, for what I understand, when it comes to parrots, they always require quarantine at the country of arrival [and I think that you also need an import permit for all animals].

I will be moving back to my country in a few years and will have to do the whole enchilada myself but, thankfully, my husband's ex sister in law is a veterinarian who works for what would be the USDA back home and will help with all the paperwork as well as, if at all possible, to have me certified so I can quarantine at my own home.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:50 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, you need health certificates AND a CITES one for grays and that might take time. As to the actual requirements and which specifically you will need, you need to check with the Italian government [contact the embassy] because each country has different ones but, for what I understand, when it comes to parrots, they always require quarantine at the country of arrival [and I think that you also need an import permit for all animals].

I will be moving back to my country in a few years and will have to do the whole enchilada myself but, thankfully, my husband's ex sister in law is a veterinarian who works for what would be the USDA back home and will help with all the paperwork as well as, if at all possible, to have me certified so I can quarantine at my own home.

Yes, that's right, the CITES! That is what the Avian vet stated, too, thank you for reminding me! I'm a little nervous about the quarantine, how long would Chance be separated from me?

I'm glad you have that sort of connection, here's to hoping that should we make the move, that my Avian vet can really help me through it!

I'll look into this more and share information as I learn. I figure whatever I can learn may help another person in our shoes!
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 am

GreenWing wrote:Michael, can you weigh in on how your birds feel on a plane while you are flying? Do they notice turbulence? I know they're birds are are natural pilots but still curious :mrgreen:

I've never flown with mine by airline but I'd imagine the experience for the bird shouldn't be much different from a small piston airplane. Basically they just get sleepy and want to preen a lot. Not all that much going on. They definitely aren't freaking out and seem more indifferent than alert. Having a bird that's flighted and well-exercised is important because you don't want their organs to give out from higher pulse due to lower oxygen. If they are used to flying, they are more familiar with breathing faster and higher heart rates. As for the noise, parrots can handle a lot more noise than we can so it's not an issue.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby GreenWing » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:02 pm

Michael wrote:I've never flown with mine by airline but I'd imagine the experience for the bird shouldn't be much different from a small piston airplane. Basically they just get sleepy and want to preen a lot. Not all that much going on. They definitely aren't freaking out and seem more indifferent than alert. Having a bird that's flighted and well-exercised is important because you don't want their organs to give out from higher pulse due to lower oxygen. If they are used to flying, they are more familiar with breathing faster and higher heart rates. As for the noise, parrots can handle a lot more noise than we can so it's not an issue.

Thanks for this info, Michael!
Chance is a pretty good flier, too. Needs a bit more work on the landing, though. :)
GreenWing
African Grey

ua

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 am

I have traveled by commercial plane with birds and they do well, especially if you travel at night [which is the way most commonly used in flights between USA and Europe]. I just put a piece of bread and some seeds on the bottom of the carrier [more for comfort than anything else] and a couple of slices of oranges [in case they get thirsty]. You just need to make sure that the carrier is an approved one [by the airline] and that it's not opaque [because birds should not go through the XRay machine and the checkers at security need to be able to see inside it without taking the bird out].

The length of quarantine depends on the laws of the country you are going to but I would think it's about 30 days.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:34 am

I was worried about quarantine as I know it would probably stress Chance out, she is very sensitive and a quarantine sounds cold and uncaring... at the very least I hope to visit if she is quarantined, but the list I found says a quarantine may be necessary before entering Italy...

Requirements to enter the EU from the US are seen here:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr ... avel-italy

I have to discuss it with my avian vet more but it seems there are options to choose. Chance will need to be tagged (or microchipped) and there is the option of receiving a vaccination for avian flu, this option with certification seems the easiest. BUT, Pajarita, do you know of anyone's parrot receiving a vaccination?

List of international veterinarians for export certificates and help (for those in Oregon there is a vet in WA):

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_healt ... cts/sc.pdf

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_healt ... inator.pdf

Hope this helps others, the more I learn the more I will update this thread...
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:23 am

I don't know of anybody's parrot getting an avian flu vaccine and according to the AVMA {American Veterinarian Medical Association] there is no vaccine approved for pets [see here: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/ ... imals.aspx] but it might be that APHIS has one and that they use it for international travel... I don't know but I am sure that an APHIS vet can tell you. Personally, I would go with any option that would allow me not to quarantine or to reduce it to the minimum in Italy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby HitsOlivs » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:07 am

Getting the necessary papers and certifications can take time, but it's all for Chance's well-being.
HitsOlivs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Yobudal » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:09 am

Life sure has its twists and turns! How exciting to consider the possibility of Italy! Chance enjoying pasta sounds adorable!

Regarding pet travel, I don't have personal experience, but planning ahead is essential. Italy might have specific requirements, so talking to your avian vet is great. The 6-month certification process can be a wait, but it's all for Chance's well-being.

As for flying with pets, many owners find their furry friends handle it surprisingly well. The plane's gentle hum might even soothe them. Turbulence doesn't seem to bother most birds; they're natural pilots, after all! Michael's input could be helpful, and researching pet travel tips might ease your worries.

By the way, when the time comes for your move, consider Three Movers. They can assist with relocating your belongings, making your move to Italy smoother. Wishing you the best of luck, and may Chance enjoy many pasta-filled adventures!
Yobudal
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care