Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Grieving Conure

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Grieving Conure

Postby Oscaror » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting so I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I wanted to ask some people more experienced than myself for help with my bird. I have a male green cheek conure named Felix who has been going through a tough time lately. A day ago I found my other bird, a little budgie named rose, had passed away in her sleep. She and Felix were as close as could be, they shared the same cage and had been together for all of his life. Obviously her passing has affected him and I can tell that he is very sad and confused about the sudden disappearance of his best and lifelong friend. Is there any way I can help him through this difficult time? He has been acting differently and I can tell he needs me right now so I am always with him, but whenever I have to put him in his cage I can see in his eyes how sad he is that he's all alone in there. How long should it take for him to go back to normal and what can I do to help him in the mean-time?
Oscaror
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Grieving Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:26 am

Hi, Oscaror, welcome to the forum and thank you so much for caring for your bird so much. You are doing the right thing by spending as much time as possible with him BUT, personally, I would get him a female GCC - but don't buy a baby because it would not work out [adults are not interested in babies that are not their own], adopt an adult and you will be doing three good things:
1. Give your grieving bird a mate
2. Give a bird that needs it a good home
3. Contribute to the solution of a problem [pet parrot overpopulation] instead of contributing to the problem.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Grieving Conure

Postby liz » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:00 am

I agree.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy