Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

ATTENTION: ru an expert about crossing US/Canada border?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

ATTENTION: ru an expert about crossing US/Canada border?

Postby Bultaco » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:32 am

My wife and I live in Canada with our 22 yr old DYH Amazon.

A Florida vacation WITH Garcia would be a wonderful experience for all of us.

Do any Canadians (or Americans) who frequent this forum (or any other parrot sites) know any more about crossing into the United States with a CITES "endangered"-listed bird than I do?

What I've learned is that the "rules" around taking a pet parrot into the USA are absolutely ridiculous.....provide nothing with regard to the prevention of bird smuggling nor the spread of avian disease.

As far as I can determine, it's a mis-informed, poorly-conceived, severely-enforced set of regulations that simply punishes parrot owners for wanting to travel with their pets.

Yes, our parrot actually HAS his own passport, issued by Environment Canada.
Do you think that does him any good?
No.
In spite of the fact that he is a 22 year old pet with a passport (proving origin) AND a clean "bill of health" from his own veterinarian, the rules say we must have him inspected by a USDA vet (at a cost of $65 CAD) in order to take him INTO the US.....AND pay several hundred dollars (again to US entities) in order to bring him back OUT of the US.

Has anyone researched this crazy situation in the last couple of years? (I did it several years ago and became exhausted and frustrated.....and gave up. But now that we're retired, we'd REALLY like to take Garcia down south with us.)

Your thoughts?
Bultaco
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow-Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: ATTENTION: ru an expert about crossing US/Canada border?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:46 am

Were you planning on driving down to Florida or flying? Because it's much easier and cheaper to get them in through a 'land port' - see this: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-tr ... rom-canada
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: ATTENTION: ru an expert about crossing US/Canada border?

Postby GreenWing » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:19 pm

I'm not an expert in this situation, but I'm looking into this now as I "may" move to Italy at some point in the future, so I've done my research.

It sounds like you are knowledgeable about CITES and regulations.

My CAG will need to go to Washington state, Seattle area, and receive CITES regulatory tests and papers, which likely will include vaccination.
There's no way around it. For Italy, there is a three month window to get this paperwork completed before leaving the U.S. And upon arrival? Likely, Chance will be taken and quarantined, for how long, I don't yet know. I do know that the more precautions taken, the better the process and speediness.

Canada is not Europe, though, and there are no language barriers/need for official translation regarding paperwork, so travel with your bird should technically be much easier.
Your CITES approved Avian Vet should know and should be able to give more details.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care