Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Moodiness

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Moodiness

Postby GreenWing » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Need some input...

Chance has been crankier in recent weeks, stubbornly not stepping up, and biting my spouse after asking to step up, trolling him. She won't step up for me, but she does for my spouse, then biting him. She seems to be more willing to bite him than me. Still, she won't step up for even me. She does this hang-upside-down thing in her unwillingness to step up when I offer my arm. Even if I repeatedly tell her to step up, she won't until she decides if she wants to cave in.

Once on, she'll crawl to the shoulders and lightly nips/beaks the sides of the face and hair around the face while on the shoulder.

Any guesses as to why Chance has been so moody recently? This behavior has come with the winter months. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Winter season. She is just being less affectionate, over all. She will still cuddle, but rarely, and it's on her terms. The not stepping up at all is a first. It's like she is just less social.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Moodiness

Postby Pajarita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:51 am

Well, grays are short day breeders and they do act up when hormonal (same as any other bird) but, in my personal experience, the hens get super duper mushy, asking for caresses all the time and making little noises when you do so I don't know why Chase is acting standoffish... Unless she is resentful for not geting what she wants? They do like to go to ground during this time, especially to corners of the room, and scratch the floor, hide inside a box, chew the box, etc. Have you been giving her a 'nest'?
I know that a lot of people say not to give them boxes when they are hormonal but, in my personal experience, they do much better when they can do what their body is asking them to. It seems to me that being able to perform the activity that is natural to them calms them while being constantly frustrated would create anxiety... But, in any case, she should be at the end of her 'season' and the days are now getting longer so she will stop producing hormones very soon.

My advice to you is to hang in there, give her a nice box in a secluded corner of the room to chew and hide in and wait it out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:34 am

Rainbow claimed a step stool that I had in the kitchen. I put it in a cardboard box. As she chewed it up I would set it into bigger box without taking out the old but sweeping up chips. She spends most of her day in there and only comes out at meal time to beg. She stays in there except when she comes out to chase the kitten away from her area. Rainbow "rules the roost".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby GreenWing » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I think Chance is playing these mind games. If I bring out the clicker I got from Michael she will step up. So, she only steps up right now if I have the clicker in my hand! I don't even have to use it per se.

Maybe she isn't moody or hormonal, but bored. She has plenty of toys... it's just constant mind games.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby GreenWing » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Well, her behavior has become more "cold" and she refuses to step up - at all.

What's the reason behind this behavior? What would cause a grey to act unfriendly, unsociable?
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 am

Did you try giving her a box and leaving her alone? Because that's what they want when they get moody like that...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:46 pm

I haven't bought a box yet. She's playing mind games, who knows what she really wants? I gave her space, which had an interesting reaction - she started to shout at me to STEP UP, NOW and I offered my arm twice - the first time she refused, then second time she DID step up. :lol:
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am

There you go! With parrots, it's always best to let them tell you what they want, when and how.
But she would do much better if you gave her boxes when she is hormonal because the chewing and scratching of the 'nest' reduces their stress and anxiety when they are hormonal. And you don't need to buy a box, just use one you already have or simply ask your supermarket or grocery to give you one - they throw them away anyway so you are doing them a favor. I always save all my boxes (and I get A LOT of them) but, on top of that, the daughter who lives nearby saves her for me, too so my birds ALWAYS have a clean one to chew on if they feel like it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care