Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conures spend more time in cage now?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Conures spend more time in cage now?

Postby julperr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm quite new to all this, I got them back in october. They're male and female and they adore each other and so... lately I've seen cosmo (male) humping blue quite a lot so I think they may be trying to mate? To go along with this, they also now spend so much more time in their nest box (I don't ever open it so that they view it as a safe space) even during the day! Their nest box has an entrance from inside their cage so they can only get in through their cage, but I keep it open so they can come out anytime to the rest of the house. Or sometimes, cosmo will go in and stay in the nest for a while and blue stays outside of the cage. I haven't seen blue go and be in the nest by herself yet, only cosmo does this. Either that or they're in together at the same time. Lately they have been spending more and more time in the nest box. Now it's not just one hour or two at a time, they'll stay there even most of the day and I hear all kinds of singing from cosmo in there.

Anytime I get close to the cage and call for them, only cosmo comes out to receive the food that I come to offer and then he will retreat back into the nest box where blue is. Thing is, my mom said she checked the nest box a few days ago (they do occassionally venture out to our nearby plants but rarely) and she saw no eggs. What does this mean? Are they preparing to have babies or something of that nature? Thank you, all sort of experience helps:)
julperr
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Conures spend more time in cage now?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:01 am

Welcome to the forum. You don't say how old they are or give any other pertinent information and that makes all the difference so, please, tell us, how old are they, when do you turn on and off the lights in the room where their cage is and what are they being fed on a daily basis and we will be able to give you a good answer. But, regardless of all this missing info, one think I can tell you and it's that they should NOT have a nest in their cage because it's not breeding season for them yet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care