Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

senegal parrot bitting when put back in cage

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

senegal parrot bitting when put back in cage

Postby bobbivik » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:41 am

Hi
Just one question about my senegal parrots behaviour.
sometimes when i cary him over to his cage to put him back, he bits me very hard and i think its because he does't what to go back to his cage. He almost never bits me like this unless he's in a grumpy mood. :senegal:
I always give him a treat whenever i put him back in his cage, is this encouraging him to bit?
If I sort of act like I'm not going to put him back, then do, he does't bit me,( then i give him his treat) is this a bad thing to do?
I just hope you can give me some solutions.

Thanks
bobbivik
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: senegal parrot, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Re: senegal parrot bitting when put back in cage

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:50 am

Clearly the treat is not sufficient reconciliation for being put into the cage. It’s going to take more than that. A little treat or even nothing at all is enough for putting my guys back but that is the result of years of patient training and routine building. But in the beginning, it takes a lot more to get the bird on the same page as you.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:30 am

I never give them anything when I put them back in their cages and they never bite me when I do BUT my birds spend the entire day out with only two hours or so of light left when they go back this time of the year. If you ask me, what makes the difference is whether the bird spends too many hours in a cage or just a couple before dinner and sleep.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby bobbivik » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 am

Thanks for the help :senegal:
bobbivik
Parrotlet

Postby GreenWing » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 pm

The bite of a senegal can hurt like a mofo.

Does your sennie get sufficient time out of the cage? The regularity of bites when placing him back in definitely communicates that he doesn't WANT to go back. I think your idea about treats is a good one, but I'm wondering if you are rewarding him for biting (in his mind). Maybe try to show him a treat is already in his dish (show him the treat and let him watch you place it inside of the dish) so he will readily go in. Once he is in there, make a big deal and clap and squeal and say "Good boy!!!" with a lot of positive reinforcement.

When you sennie bites, let him know it hurts. I don't agree with not reacting to a bite necessarily. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If the bird bites, use a strong and firm voice and say, "You hurt me. That hurts." And then ignore him for a while, not making eye contact. This is the reverse of what your bird wants, your love and affection. So when your sennie starts whistling and wanting to connect with you, give into that and move away from biting and bad behaviors.

These things work for me, I used to have a sennie and now have an African Grey. When I did have Tiki she would bite me, too. Sennies can be passionate, temperamental birds but are also so loyal and loving.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby bobbivik » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:31 am

Thanks for the help
when he does bit me i do ignore him and talk to him in a stern voice and all that.
but strange enough he doesn't bit me when i put him back in his cage anymore, so it must of just been a stage he went though.but when hes in a real bad mood like 'don't even look at me i will attack your face' sort of thing when hes in this mood its impossible to keep under control.he is only one year old or so hes just a grumpy teenager like me :? :senegal:

Thanks for your help guys
bobbivik
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:32 am

Look, I don't mean to make you feel bad but there is no such thing as a 'grumpy teenager bird'. Parrots are NOT naturally aggressive -it's simply not in their genes because they are not predators or belong to a hierarchical society where the leader needs to fight his way to the top- so, whenever there is an aggression issue, it's because the bird found no other way to get its point accros but through biting. Please take the time to observe the ABC (Antecedent -what happened before, Behavior -what he did, exactly, Consequence -what happens after) and try to figure out why he is like that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 am

One more thing and, again, please do not feel that I am criticizing you, I am just trying to clarify common misconceptions in parrots. At one year old, he is still a juvenile, he is not going through puberty.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to General Parrot Care