Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek Help - Sudden onset of Agression

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Green Cheek Help - Sudden onset of Agression

Postby Thelittlewoodshop » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, I am new to this forum. I want to thank everyone in advance for any help or guidance.

I have 3 Green Cheek Conures. Dad (Clyde), Daughter (Edith) and Son (Kiwi). They’ve resided in the same cage since babies were born 6 years ago. Mom unfortunately passed when babies were 1years old due to unknown causes.

Clyde has started attacking both his babies to the point where he’s drawn blood. I noticed it this afternoon as I’m home during the day and gone at night. They have their tiffs everynow and then but nothing out of the ordinary like today. I saw blood on one of their walking sticks while I was pulling Clyde off his son. He wouldn’t let go for nothing and tried his hardest to continue chasing him around the cage and biting him anywhere he could get him. I currently have Clyde outside the cage and babies locked in the cage. I am heading to the store here shortly to get a little cage for Clyde for the time being as I am scared to put him back in with the other two birds. He has never acted this way before. Only thing new is that Edith started laying eggs in the bottom of the cage last week. Three eggs so far, I’ve left the last one in the bottom of the cage since they keep pushing it through the grate bottom onto the newspaper, so it’s been there to attempt to keep her from laying anymore. I have not witnessed any breeding, and I am not attempting to breed them.

Any ideas on why Clyde would act this way all of a sudden and any ideas on where to go from here?

Thank you all for your help,
Jennifer
Thelittlewoodshop
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Help - Sudden onset of Agression

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Three is never a good number for birds, especially if you are dealing with overly hormonal males... You don't say what kind of diet they are getting, what kind of light schedule you have them under o how many hours of flight time they have outside their cage but I suspect too high protein and human light schedule because GCCs are actually very mild-mannered little birds -not anywhere near the degree of sweetness of cockatiels but still pretty laid back UNLESS they are uncomfortable (being overly hormonal means chronic pain and sexual frustration so it's no wonder they get aggressive). Please re-evaluate their diet and light schedule and separate them before he hurts or even kills one of the younger ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care