Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ultrasonic devices and birds

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Ultrasonic devices and birds

Postby Jsef37 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Hello all! This my first post, and I'm sure there will be many more to come!
I just bought a Harlequin Macaw, which I will be bringing home in the next few weeks. I also have 2 dogs who bark excessively when they see people walk past our house, so I have an ultrasonic bark deterrent for them. Will my macaw be bothered by the ultrasonic sound when it goes off? Or are they not able to hear sounds at that frequency?
This will be my first macaw, so I'm obsessing a little over every detail!
Thanks in advance for your replies!
Jsef37
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Harlequin macaw
Flight: No

Re: Ultrasonic devices and birds

Postby molinash19350 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

Welcome!

Parrots have very sensitive hearing, The higher the pitch can make them nervous
usually the hearing of a big parrot like a Macaw can only be limited to 200 Hz-8.5
and it is possible that if it gets too loud they can be stressed out and start pulling their feathers.
If you can put your parrot in a different room to block out as much pitch as possible as ultrasounds can have a high frequency.

:danicing:

-Much love-
molinash19350
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: Ultrasonic devices and birds

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum! I had a problem with mice for years after we bought this house (there were already mice in it and the fact that birds have food out all the time did not help matters) and many people told me to buy the ultrasonic pest deterrents but I never did because of the birds so, if you ask me, you are going to have to train your dogs to stop barking on a verbal command. I also have two yappers and, once they start, all the others join the chorus but they are getting much better (all my animals are rescues and most of the dogs are fairly new and the kind that has behavioral issues)... they still don't stop the first time I tell them to shut up but they are not barking as long as they used to and, eventually, they will learn to do it on command. I also have help from a couple of parrots that tell them to SHUT UP! when they start - sometimes followed by the 'Stupid dogs' I use when I get disgusted with them :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care