Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Same sex pairs are OK

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Same sex pairs are OK

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:57 am

This story is not about parrots but about flamingos (there was also the famous male penguin pair that hatched an egg that was given to them and raised the baby, Tango, on their own - second link) but I put it here because people tend to think that pairing two birds of the same sex, even when it's out of their own choice, it's not good and try to separate them - which is wrong. Same sex pairs might not be the 'norm' but it's found in 10% of every single species population. I've had several pairs of birds of the same sex and I have one right now, Naida and Mami Zon, they just love one another...

https://www.wowt.com/content/news/Denve ... tml?bcmt=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_and_Silo
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Same sex pairs are OK

Postby GreenWing » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:22 am

Gay birds, you say? I've wondered if Chance is gay. :mrgreen:
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Re: Same sex pairs are OK

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Hmmm, I would not venture an opinion on that because, in my personal experience, it's VERY hard to get a gray to bond with another bird - even if this bird is a gray of the same species/subspecies and of the opposite gender. I think it has to do with the extra deep bond they develop with humans during hand-feeding... it just doesn't leave any room for another be it a human or a bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General Parrot Care