Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Companion Bird ?'s

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Companion Bird ?'s

Postby BJP » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

This will be my first post on here. I have a few questions. I purchased Samantha(Sam for short) from a local pet store when she was younger roughly 4 months old. She is coming up on here 2nd birthday now. Just to give you a brief idea of her personality and her environment.

I'm looking to see if purchasing another female brown-headed as a companion would be a good idea?

Her and I get along really well with no issues. She is tame and very stubborn(like her owner). However, when I first met her at the store, she was the wildest, crazy, mean, aggressive bird in the store ( I think she was neglected).
I'm a materials engineer, I work from 8-5 most days besides the weekends. So with her being so young, and me being the only one around for the most part she has became pretty much a "one person bird". Her and I have gotten into the routine of her going outside in the mornings wether it be for breakfast or relaxing on the deck with a cup of coffee. We have a tree on our deck for which she absolutely goes crazy to get me to let her play in. So she gets her way.

My girlfriend has been trying to work with Sam to get her off of her "one person bird attitude" however it doesn't seem to be going well. She has shown some aggression towards my mom when she stops over the reason for this we believe is that my mother got herself associated with the vacuum cleaner which Sam is deathly afraid of. She doesn't bite me; however,she does enjoy chewing on my finger(she has plenty of toys....).

As for my environment it is a decent size house, rather quiet environment. She currently has her cage in my bedroom. Multiple perches throughout the house. However, she stays in her cage most of the time from 8-5pm due to her not letting anyone else get her out. Only I can get her out of her cage unless she makes an exception(very very rarely does she), with a treat and her steping up on a stick/perch. She is pretty much out of the cage any point after that.

And to re-state the question, Would getting another female brown-headed parrot as a companion bird for her be a good idea?

Reasoning is I'd like her to have a distraction or someone else to play with other then "me". It's always me, for which I'm not always around and I feel rather bad about leaving her in the cage without being able to come out.

Brad P.
BJP
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Brown-headed Parrot)
Flight: Yes

Re: Companion Bird ?'s

Postby BJP » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Some pics:

BJP
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Brown-headed Parrot)

Re: Companion Bird ?'s

Postby pchela » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi,

In general it is not a good idea to get another bird as a companion for an existing bird. First of all, if the bird has a bond with a human already, it is doubtful it will bond with another bird. Poicephalus in particular are known for being jealous of other birds who are introduced into the household. If you get another bird, you will most likely end up with two birds that you don't have time for.

On the other hand, if you do have the time for two, I highly recommend always keeping two birds in separate cages. I feel that when no humans are home it is comforting for them to have another bird to chat with and keep each other company. I do think it is bad for a bird to spend time alone. You just can't count on your bird getting along with a new bird as it most likely won't happen.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to General Parrot Care