Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Postby alexandrin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:47 am

Wow thank you so much!!!!

Few more doubts

1. as for probiotics -- one with Lactic acid is good? or should be used the one without Lactic acid?

2. The fact from the 5 days I serves antibiotics so far 3 were from the air burnt plate (it was in open air spce), should I extend the antibiotics by 3 additional days?

3. Anyway ensure he gets right dosage or the fact he only takes few water sips a day is fine?

4. Is it ok if I put half of the 100mg capsule (50mg) instead 25mg into the daily water? It its risky?

Thanks a lot !
alexandrin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: ALDXANDRINE 3 Month Old boy :)
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:09 am

No lactic acid.

Yes, do three more days. Because even if the 'exposed' antibiotic you already gave him was good, three more days is not going to hurt the bird. As a matter of fact, I ALWAYS do 3 weeks worth of antibiotic with birds because I've found that they tend to get better slower than mammals -most likely because of the chronic stress that captivity causes them.

All parrots take just a few sips of water in the morning and that's usually what they need for the whole day as long as they are getting the right diet so, don't worry, it's fine. The trick is not to dilute the antibiotic more than is needed so, as long as you are using 25 mg in one measuring cup of water, you should be fine (I tend to use the tiniest bit more, just in case).

Using double the dosage is not dangerous per se BUT you do not want to overdo it with meds and birds. What you can do is use a third instead of half or a quarter...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alexandrin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:19 am

Well I don't have a measure cup yet so what I did until now is full filling his cage water jar and put in this water 25mg and mix it with spoon. Any suggestions how I can measure without a measure cup? I have big 500ml measure cup I could buy in pharmacy today, Maybe you can tell me how many "ml" of water per 25mg (1/3 100mg) of antibiotics?

Thanks a lot!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:45 pm

My dear, you can buy a measuring cup in any supermarket and discount store and they are very cheap. Or borrow one from somebody you know -ask your mother or grandmother or the mother of a friend, I am sure they have one because they need them and use them for baking as recipes are usually in cups and table/teaspoons.

A cup is a tiny bit less than 1/4 of a liter, exactly 1/4 of a quart, and 8 fluid ounces (perfumes and other toiletries -like shampoos and such- come in fluid ounces).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alexandrin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 pm

Actually me and my wife we went through few stores and found nothing, ended up buying 500ml measuring jar in pharmacy... so I need to measure 240ml of water per day and out into this 240ml around 25-33mg of antibiotics , right?

So I was kinda over dosing him thus 5 days since his water jar is 170ml so I used 25-30mg antibiotics on 170-180ml water.

Hope its not too bad? From tomorrow will be doing exactly 240-250ml with the measurement jar.
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:16 am

Hey :)

Some feedback,

His body still noticeably bobbing
Belly
Upper wings (bobbing mostly visible here, they got very visible decent move as he breath, going up/down)
Tail

All go up and down as he breathe, maybe you can suggest any anti-fungus medication we cohos buy and give him in addition to antibiotics as a prafilatical measure just in case if he got fungus in his breathing system? Or doxycycline will battle this fungus too if there is one?

Oh -- is it normal for him to yawning? I saw him doing this first time this morning... ?

In the local Zoo the birds health taker told me they taking care of their baby birds with antibiotic called etroprofloxacin, is it any better than doxycycline ?

I truly appreciate your help - you doing an amazing community support! <3
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am

Are you sure they said etroprofloxacin and not ciprofloxacin or enrofloxacin? Because I've never heard of etroprofloxacin before... Ciprofloxacin is commonly called cipro for short and it's actually very effective for respiratory infections and cheap, and we used to use it on birds but it has more side effects than enrofloxacin (brand name is Baytril) or doxycycline so we don't use it anymore. Avian vets usually give you Baytril for birds but I also use Clavamox because I always have a good supply of it as I can get it in my country without a prescription and bring into USA without a problem. I get several bottles of it because it keeps for a looong time (it comes in bottles in a powder form and, prior using it, you add distilled water to it -the bottles have a mark for it so you always do it right). I like doxycycline for new or scared birds because you can put it in the water so the bird is being medicated without any stress while, with enrofloxacin or cipro you need to medicate in the beak -VERY stressful for the bird as it needs to be done twice a day.

Now, before you start with fungicides, I want you to do something for me. I want you to very gently and carefully towel the bird and put your ear to his chest (make sure there are no noises in the background so you can hear well) and tell me if you hear a faint crackling noise (like the noise a log makes when it's burning or a paper makes when you crumple it but much softer in volume) coming from it. If it does, tell me if it's constant or if it's not.

No measuring cups?! How do people measure flour, sugar, etc in there?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alexandrin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:41 am

Hey,

1. Yes, my bad it is enrofloxacin :) is what he said at the Zoo.
2. Umm, sounds like something almost impossible for me to do at this point, the levels of his fear from us is still too high to allow that...
3. I actually managed finally reach out to a local vet for parrots, its so rare to find in this country and I finally found one... after long talk about all the symptoms she said:

A. Continue with doxycycline - its good!
B. For 3-5 days give him 2 drops of Dexamethasone via 1ml of juice or on top of a slice of fruit.
C. For 5-7 days, mix 1/4 of a Biseptol 120 tab into his food, give each day fresh food with 1/4 of Biseptol 120.

The vet said that the above will actually BOOST the effect of doxycycline in his system and cure him faster.

For his beak, she prescribed to use Betadine® Solution, smear on his beak 2-3 times a day, each day until his beak back to a perfect cosmetic shape.

I think its good that I put this information here for everyone who might like me struggled to find a vet :)

What is your feedback on the above?

Thanks !! :)
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:48 am

Well, dexamethasone is a VERY strong corticoid and I don't like to use any type of steroids on any animal unless it's absolutely necessary - which it is not in this case (there is no trauma or a strong inflammatory reaction to anything). It reduces inflammation but, here, we use melloxicam (which is not steroidal) because dexamethasone makes birds prone to fungal infections -something very difficult to cure. So, in all honesty, I don't know why this was prescribed.

The Biseptol is called Bactrim here (aka TMP/SMX and it's the combination of two different kinds of antibiotics) but is no longer used for birds (well, pigeon breeders still use it but, personally, I don't think that counts). It's very cheap and effective against things like pneumonia but it has side effects that makes it not the best for birds. And why prescribe another antibiotic when the first one has not proven ineffective yet?

I would also not use the Betadine on the beak... and I don't know why this was prescribed either. It only works on open wounds and as prevention on surgery sites (you know, they swab the area they are going to be cutting). It's going to stress out the bird something awful to have this applied three times a day on its beak and it's not going to do anything for it anyway.

But, if you are going to swab the beak, you are going to have to towel the bird so you might as well listen to his chest because what I was asking you to check for is the noise that they make when they have air sac mites which are not cured by antibiotics, antifungals or steroids and require a specfic treatment once a week, three weeks in a row.

You need to be careful with avian vets because they know less than what they tell you they know. Not their fault, mind you, it's that nobody knows that much about birds... We just had a case of an avian vet actually killing a bird (a quaker) by overprescribing three different types of medicine when only one, in a smaller dosage, would have done the trick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care