Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: My baby 2.5 month old Alexandrine first fly - hit two window

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:14 am

A. For Morning+Early daytime: Instead of Gloop can I simply cook oatflakes / oatmeal and add into this mix of small sliced vegies (carrot, cucumber), then from this prepare daily small portions and put them in the fridge. --- How many grams of these I can give him each morning?

No. You can't just feed it oatmeal and nothing else. It needs different types of whole grains mixed with different veggies (cucumbers have no nutrition, you can offer them as the 'veggie of the day' every now and then because all birds like cucumbers but not often - for gloop, you need to round up the nutrition and that's why you need a range of yellow, orange and green veggies). And no, you cannot keep in fridge. If you make a large amount of gloop, you need to freeze the daily portions to retain high nutrition. Let me explain: you cook the whole grains 'al dente' so they are softer in the outside as they become imbued with water but remain a bit hard in the inside (birds like them better this way). You let them cool completely. Then you add frozen veggies without thawing them. You mix. You split into daily portion and freeze them. Every night, you take out a daily portion and allow it to thaw.

A.1. Instead of boiled hard egg which I put vitamines on, I will use boiled white rice chunk with vitamnes spread/poweder on it.

I don't like this method because you can't tell how much of the vitamin powder is actually ending up inside the bird and you do NOT want to overdo it with the vit A or the vit D3 (because the excesses of both end up in the liver in the form of fatty nodules and too much vit A causes cancer).

B. For noon time, put him, few solid slices big of fruit or/and vegie.

No. Birds eat two big meals: breakfast and dinner. He needs his fruits and veggies early in the morning BEFORE his gloop.

C. spray of millet, can you clarify how it looks? can't I just give him millet seeds?

This is what a millet spray looks like: https://animals.mom.me/what-is-a-millet ... 49156.html and they sell them in all the bird stores but, if you can't find them, you can use the regular millet.

D. Optional: Oatmeal I can make time to time, Dr' Quaker works? :)
D.1. Dust Time: Give him soft warm boiled rice or oatmeal made of oatflakes with Budgies mix.

You can give it oatmeal but not as 'the' food. It can be an extra. And it cannot be the instant kind but the old-fashioned one.

And no, do not mix cooked rice or oatmeal with seeds. It will only make a mess of things and, besides, you feed the seeds at a different time than the cooked grains, rice or oatmeal.

E. Would appreciate your answer about my question in my above response, related to anti biotics, how many days will be giving this to him?

Give it 4 or 5 days of probiotics.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alexandrin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am

Thanks for the info!

A. How good is this mix for the morning:

1. Carrots
2. Green Peas
3. Corn
4. Peach
5. Apple

B. If I take oatmeal, mix it with budgies food and put on top vegies, would it be good enough as alternative to whole grains? if I currently, dont have those available? I will go to Bazaar to buy what I can find available there.

B.1. I actually saw Barley seeds, is it a very good one? should I buy it? Also, DAL, is it a good one?

C. Also green/red papper is allowed or not for parrots?

D. Chickpeas?

Thanks!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: ALDXANDRINE 3 Month Old boy :)

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:24 pm

You can't substitute grains with seeds. They might look alike but they are not the same thing - seeds are seeds and grains are actually the fruit of the plant. Look for brown rice, lentils, barley, Irish Oatmeal (aka steel cut oats) and whole grain couscous or whole grain pastina (or pasta) in your supermarket until you can order some whole grains online. I don't know how it is there but, here, you can find these and much more in a regular market (I get everything I need from a regular supermarket with the exception of the oat groats which I have to get from Whole Foods). Look in the Baking Needs and the Health Food Sections. Also look in the Breakfast aisle - sometimes they have grain mixes in there, too.

As to veggies or fruits, I like to give them one of each for breakfast, with different ones each day of the week because I've found that, if I give them more selection, they end up eating always the same thing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby alexandrin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:37 am

Pajarita wrote:You can't substitute grains with seeds. They might look alike but they are not the same thing - seeds are seeds and grains are actually the fruit of the plant. Look for brown rice, lentils, barley, Irish Oatmeal (aka steel cut oats) and whole grain couscous or whole grain pastina (or pasta) in your supermarket until you can order some whole grains online. I don't know how it is there but, here, you can find these and much more in a regular market (I get everything I need from a regular supermarket with the exception of the oat groats which I have to get from Whole Foods). Look in the Baking Needs and the Health Food Sections. Also look in the Breakfast aisle - sometimes they have grain mixes in there, too.

As to veggies or fruits, I like to give them one of each for breakfast, with different ones each day of the week because I've found that, if I give them more selection, they end up eating always the same thing.

Okies, went to Bazaar and bought lots of:
1. Barley
2. Oat Groats
3. Green Peas (dry sliced into two seeds)
4. Whole Wheat (darker) & Wheat

I will try cook this as a mix, boil it for 30 minutes, let it cold up, then on top of it put frozen vegies, let it thaw and serve him ... and see how he likes it :)

This little shop in Bazaar had all you need:

alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:25 am

Lovely eating his veggies with a nice mix of boiled whole grains right below the veggies - cooked by myself :)

P.S. Bit of white boiled rice mixed into the veggies top.

https://youtu.be/f8XW9-RPYhY

alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:24 am

Hi,

1. I can notice small sized but indeed more flaky/layered beak symptoms, I suspect it started more often following the antibiotics (only suspect), any suggestions? besides the vitamins which I already give daily? you can see the flaking, and how the transition from red to yellow is not smooth but rather flaky/layered:

Maybe coz he's a baby his beak actively renewing? I found this online:

There is always a fresh supply of new beak growth just under the existing beak, and it makes its way to the surface by sloughing off the old outer growth. This means that sometimes the visible part of the beak begins to peel away. In fact, you will more often see a peeling appearance in your bird's beak than not.Apr 12, 2012

2. Also, can I give him raw whole grains as part of the dry mix? in addition to the boiled whole grains that I give him with veggies.

3. The antibiotics capsules, those are human grade 100Mg capsules, so I open those, extract the poweder, slice the powder into 4 portions, each day put in his water one of these portions, is it OK that I keep this poweder on a regular plate waiting for the next day's portion? or should I put it in frdige?

Thanks a lot!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am

YAAAAYYYY! He is eating his gloop VERY nicely (and I see that, just like my own birds, he went for the corn first :D - they all love fresh corn!) and the gloop itself looks good! KUDOS TO YOU! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't worry about the beak. For one thing, it's bruised (you can see the discoloration on the video better than in the pictures) and, for another, the surface did crack so, eventually, those 'broken' layers will fall off. It takes about two years for a beak to grow out from the cere to the tip so it''s no use looking at it all the time, just leave it be and it will be alright - in time. I suspect that it did not get good nutrition when he was a younger baby and, possibly, his parents did not get good food, either.

No, don't add raw grains to his budgie mix. They are too hard for its beak (these birds are mainly frugivores so they do not have a very hard beak and your bird is a baby that has a bruised beak so you want to give him soft food -especially since he is too thin and needs to eat a lot).

Keep the antibiotic in a cool, dry place and inside a bottle or a plastic baggie or something that would prevent airborn stuff to get to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby alexandrin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I decided to go safe, well, for last few days, what I did, I opened the antibiotic capsule, extracted powder on plate, sliced to 4 portions and kept the powder on the kitchen table open to air, I went now to pharmacy and got more of this antibiotics, so to be safe, each day, will open new capsule, extract from it 1/4, put in his daily water, rest put in cycle bin, so each day, will have fresh, from new capsule antibiotics for him.
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby alexandrin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 am

In my above post I explained about my new approach to antibiotics serving - should be safer right?

Below is another sotry...

This morning I wanted my 3 month old Alex to be more in the sun light, I moved the cage from the wall and to fake up a wall, I placed on half of the cage Fabric coating, I left him fresh food and went out for 2 hours, upon return, I could see he was touching the food just a little, he was frozen at the bottom of the cage, I had right away scary thoughts in my mind "Oh he is sick???" then I said to myself, lets take the Fabric coating away, and in 10 seconds he relieved and went up to his perch, started to eat.

So he was at the bottom, frozen, due to fear, not illness - thats my conclusion, but I wanted share anyways the story for your feedback.

P.S. At night to create for him a complete darkness I cover the whole cage with Fabric coating, in that case it doesnt make him go down, as its simply "dark" for him, unlike what happened this morning where just part of his cage was covered and he couldn't understand what this huge object above his head is....

What actually concerns me is his Tail is still bobbing while breathing, not too much, but as as little as you could see in my videos before, goes slightly up and down moves, believe after complete antibiotics course it will be better?

My another concern, he is really only takes few sips a day from water, as to what I at least can see myself, is he really gets the antibiotics dosage he needs? maybe better put it in food?

And as for probiotics -- one with Lactic acid is good? or should be used the one without Lactic acid?

Also ---- he started sneezing today, could be since we had hot days here, we had to turn on/off AC periodically, how to handle his sneezing? ... but its not all the time, he can sneeze here and there, not like every minute or every 5 minutes. :) Could be related its with heat and humidity change today....?

Thank you!
alexandrin
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:15 am

Yes, the new method with the antibiotics is fine. I do the same thing, I open a capsule, pour half or a quarter or whatever and close the capsule again, wrap it in a bit of plastic wrap and put it back into the bottle with the other ones (I wrap it so I know which one is the one I am using).

I don't know what happened with the material cover... I never have a problem with mine when I do that but this could be because mine have been with me for some time and trust me completely. As a matter of fact, I have Javi Caique's cage half covered right now because he twisted a leg (got his nails caught in a grid and, when he tried to fly off, he was left hanging from this foot and must have sprained his foot or his leg because he was favoring it) and I don't want him to freak out when another bird perches on his cage and hurt it more.

If he is sneezing because he has a cold, the antibiotic will take care of it (same with the tail bob). You just started with the medicines so you have to wait to give it time to show the effect. But the sneezing could also be from lack of vit A (don't worry, he is eating veggies that has betacarotene in them AND the vitamins) or from dryness in the air (these birds come from super humid environments and need high humidity in the air they breathe) caused by the A/C.

Now, you have to be VERY careful with A/C. I don't use it anywhere where birds are so, yes, my living and dining room are a bit hot on some days but, when the temperatures are going to be in the 90's, what I do is turn it on real cold in the kitchen (which opens to the dining room and the dining room to the living room), close the windows and draw the blinds moving the little slats so the sun does not shine in but light still gets through, and I do not turn on the overhead lights - and, believe it or not, this makes a big difference in the temperature because, when you walk into the house from the street, it feels much, much cooler.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care