Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

For adopting and integrating new little ones

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: For adopting and integrating new little ones

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:54 am

It's good of you to do research before making a final decision - things always work out better when we think them out prior doing them :D

Now, for a female amazon, the best companion you can give her and the easiest for you is to get another female amazon. In reality, for her, the best would be an adult male amazon of the same species but male zons that bond to females can become very aggressive during breeding season (or all year round if you don't feed them right and keep them to a strict solar schedule) and female zons like and even love other females so, in my personal experience, that's would be the ideal situation for you and your bird. A smaller bird or a pair of them is not going to do much in terms of company for your bird - they would not be able to actually bond and you could not keep them in the same cage together when you are not home.

I have two pairs of zons, one is a male/female pair of Yellow Napes and the other is a two female pair of a Blue Front and a Yellow Crown. Personally, I have no problem with the male/female pair but that's because they live cage-free in their own room and I really do not interact physically with them (just verbally and giving them a treat in their beak now and then) but I am also the only one that can go into the birdroom during breeding season without having the male watch me like a hawk and attack as soon as I walk close to their 'nest' (he used to but he no longer does it) - even my husband doesn't go in there without them getting locked in their cage (they do have a cage, they just use only for when my husband needs to repair the room). But the two female pair is wonderful! They love one another and spend all their time close to each other - one preens the other (too much! Mami always ends up plucking Naida's chest and nape all the time), they eat and sleep together, etc. And, even when they are nesting, they never attack. Mami sings, talks, whistles, etc while Naida is more reserved but they are both very sweet-tempered and easy going.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care