Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing two Senegals

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Introducing two Senegals

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am

Well, people think that a parrot is a parrot and that they are all the same but they are not. There are companion and aviary species. Companion species are the ones that bond very deeply to their human and, although they would benefit greatly from living with another bird of the same species, they can do well enough with a human as long as their human provides the right care and constant companionship they need - Senegals are a companion species. Aviary species are the ones that even when they are hand-fed by humans and will love a human, would never be truly happy unless they do have a companion of their own species (preferably, of the opposite gender) - like budgies, cockatiels, parrotlets, etc. One can have a single cockatiel or a single lovebird and the bird will love the human but it will live with stress and loneliness no matter how much the human tries - and given half a chance, the bird will much rather spend time with another bird than with the human. While a companion species will usually either just love the human and ignore the other bird (it happens often with African Grays) or love both the human and the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Introducing two Senegals

Postby Laurie Feldman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:45 am

Well, the experiment was not a success. After sleeping in You-You's cage for three nights, I noticed Mimi was playing VERY aggressively with both him and with me. Not her usual behavior. She was dive-bombing him continuously. He is very patient with it, but enough is enough, sometimes. So she is back to sleeping in her cage. She seems very content to be with him in his all day, but last night she really protested at bed-time. That combined with her aggressive behavior let me know she needs to roost alone still. They're so interesting and I love how they teach us what they need.
Laurie Feldman
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care