Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My birds are scarred of me.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

My birds are scarred of me.

Postby Someone Random » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Hey, this is my first post on a parrot forum and I need help from professional parrot owners. I'm a good parrot owner, however, after an accident happened with my previous parrot friend, I've bought 2, 1 I had already bought before and waited for the breeder to take care of him, and the other was for my brother. After a week of having my brother's parrot with us, I brought home my new friend. I think I may have introduced themselves too early. After my brother's parrot, Coco, bit my parrot, Pidgey, we handled the situation carefully and they then became friends.

Lately, I've noticed that Coco doesn't appreciate me as well as Pidgey does. Coco and Pidgey are both males, although Coco only got a pelvic examination so that may be wrong. It might be because of jealousy.

You may be asking yourself "What's the problem then?". I want to give both of them a good life and I don't want them to fear me. They especially are terrified of my hand for no good reason. I tried to make them see hands aren't bad by feeding them, petting them, etc. Are there any tips for this situation? I believe I've introduced themselves way too early.

They live in the same cage, so would it be torture to them if I separated them for a while? Is it too late? Am I being a bad owner and should I leave them alone? I've noticed that when I stand up high, Pidgey goes on me, meanwhile Coco runs away like usual, so is it because I'm short and it's just natural for them to stay on higher things(I am still higher than their cage even when I don't stand up high so I doubt it). They will not go on my finger, even though I taught them how to. I've probably given too many useless details so I'm sorry for that.
Someone Random
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure, Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: My birds are scarred of me.

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:32 am

Welcome to the forum, SR, Pidgey and Coco. No detail is useless, especially when it comes to parrots and their behaviors. But we do need a bit of clarification: which one is Pidgey and which is Coco? (and yes, pelvic touch is useless when it comes to sexing them). How old are they? What was the incident between them? What is their diet? What is their light schedule? Where is the cage located in the home and how large is it? Who do they live with aside from you? Does anybody else interact with them? What, exactly, are your interactions with them? How do you manage to touch their bodies if they are afraid of your hands?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: My birds are scarred of me.

Postby liz » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 am

First of all, give them a perch at eye level and keep your hands out of sight. All birds are afraid of hands so that is normal. Open the door to the cage and let them climb to the top. When you must put your hands near them, keep them palms down.
Get a flight cage. You can even get them off Craigslist.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care