Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Breeding prices

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Breeding prices

Postby DreamBreeder » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Hello fellow bird lovers!

My dream in life is to become a breeder. I would love to have my own little business of raising loved, healthy, and beautiful birds.
I want to provide families with the Best birds around. I absolutely do NOT want a “bird mill” type breeding situation. All my pairs will be my “pets” and my babies. They will all have 10+ hours of out of cage time, snuggles, training, and lots of enrichment and love.
I hate the idea of the parent birds being used for their babies, then sold off when they can’t have them anymore :(

Anyway, onto my questions. I live in Canada. The province I live in is not very popular for breeders, most of them are in Ontario, so they can charge a lot less since they are more common.

My questions are about pricing:

1) Should I match or go above the other provinces prices? If so, by how much/what percent?
2) How much more should I charge if I add in DNA? (Costs me roughly $25/bird)
3) should I charge more if I get them banded? Is it even worth banding them?

Any tips when it comes to breeding, selling, or anything parrot related is welcome too. I’m always open to constructive criticism, and learning something new.

Thank you!
DreamBreeder
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Sun conure, and cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Breeding prices

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:14 am

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry but I cannot help you with any of your questions... I have never bred parrots, only canaries (and even those I stopped because good homes are not easy to find), and never bought a single bird from a breeder (except canaries) so I know nothing about prices, competition or anything like that. As to banding them... well, I don't know how it is in Canada but, here in the States, if you don't band, you are not considered a serious breeder.

What I would like to add is that you need to think about this very carefully because, going by my own experience (I have bred Spanish Timbrados and Spanish Cantors -song canaries- and I had a bird rescue), it's VERY hard to find good homes for birds. Canaries are a domesticated species that has been bred and cared by humans since the 1400's and they are super easy to keep because they are natural seed eaters and do not require personal attention (they are not a social species but a territorial one) but it's still almost impossible to find good homes for them! Forget about it when it comes to finding parrots a good home! The conditions are so restrictive to make it almost impossible! I mean, you need somebody who is home all day long, who is in a stable financial and personal situation for the long term, who doesn't have extensive family obligations, who doesn't take long vacations or short ones too often, who know about nutrition, has money, loves birds and has experience and the will to put a lot of time and effort into it. There aren't that many homes that can provide this and that's why there is such a huge overpopulation problem and why so many of them end up in rescues or passed from one hand to another. You seem to want to offer this to your birds but how are you going to ensure a good home for the babies if you are selling them? People don't like to be imposed conditions when they are paying for something... Sheesh! they don't even like them when they are getting the animal for free (and I know because I've never charged a single penny for any animal that I rehome - I do dog, cat and bird rescue).

Parrots have a real bad life as pets.. everybody wants them but very few people are able to provide them with a modicum of good care.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care