Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Adopting a Parrot Means Single For Life?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Adopting a Parrot Means Single For Life?

Postby Natacha » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:22 pm

When I met my boyfriend, I already had two birds, my lovebird and my Senegal.
I told him right off the bat that if he ever asked me to get rid of either of them, he'd be the one walking out the door. Luckily for me, my boyfriend does understand that when you get a pet, you make a commitment to the animal and wouldn't dream of asking me to part with my birds.

However, once he showed up in my life and we started living together, he was in on the decision to add any more of them. He was actually the one who pushed to get Joey; I did want him but was afraid that I would disturb the balance I had with the others.

There are a lot of parrot people out there and then there are also people like my boyfriend who would never have thought of owning a parrot but who's gone the extra mile to learn about them and how to properly care for them because he knows how much they mean to me.

I highly doubt owning a parrot means you will be single for life :)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:11 pm

I had already met my husband by the time we got both birds ... we just got engaged when we got Lucy.

In my opinion, it's all about setting priorities. I have a husband, 2 step children and 2 birds and they all mean the world to me. I just make sure that I make time for all of them. Admitedly, a lot of my down time is spent with Lucy and Jessie, but I love spending time with them and playing with or cuddling with them is so relaxing. My husband respects the fact that I will always make time for Lucy and Jessie as well.

While I love Lucy and Jessie and they mean the world to me, I don't stop living my life. If we want to go away on vacation I need to make some additional arrangements to make sure they are well cared for when we are out of town, but it doesn't stop me. I do miss them like crazy though.

I don't agree at all that being a parrot owner means you are single for life.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby a.susz » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 pm

i had my red belly and my senegal by the time i met my boyfriend, and I told him that they are like my kids and that they will be with me until they pass away. and now he was so jealous of my relationship with my red belly that he wanted a bird of his own! lol. but now my senegal has become attached to him as well, so i told him hes not allowed to leave anyways :lol:
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 pm

lzver wrote:I had already met my husband by the time we got both birds ... we just got engaged when we got Lucy.

In my opinion, it's all about setting priorities. I[...]

I don't agree at all that being a parrot owner means you are single for life.

Well said!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care