Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I just saw my two parakeets bite each other's beaks then....

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: I just saw my two parakeets bite each other's beaks then....

Postby Parakeet » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Kim S wrote:They are probably feeding eachother. This doesnt have to be a sign of mating. Young birds feed eachother as well.
I would not seperate them. They are having a good time together and are very good friends if they are feeding. Seperating them would just cause stress and possible have them start screaming at eachother. If you just keep them in a cage with no nesting opportunity you shouldnt have any problems.

But they seem to be squawking REALLY loudly at each other and jump around
Parakeet
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: I just saw my two parakeets bite each other's beaks then....

Postby Kim S » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 am

Parakeet wrote:I was told that you can't tell the gender of parakeets when they are a few months old :?

So I'm not too sure about their genders

Most breeders can make a pretty accurate guess at that age. The ceres of boys are an even purplish blue. The ceres of girls are white blue with a white edge around the nostrils.

Parakeet wrote:
Kim S wrote:They are probably feeding eachother. This doesnt have to be a sign of mating. Young birds feed eachother as well.
I would not seperate them. They are having a good time together and are very good friends if they are feeding. Seperating them would just cause stress and possible have them start screaming at eachother. If you just keep them in a cage with no nesting opportunity you shouldnt have any problems.

But they seem to be squawking REALLY loudly at each other and jump around

Its kind of difficult without video or pictures. But I can tell you a bit about matingbehaviour and you can see if that sounds anything like what you see.
Budgies who really like eachother start pacing up and down the perch, towards and away from their 'love'. Its usually the males who do this, but sometimes females do this as well. They make loud muttering noises when they do so (like, CHIP ch ch ch krrr CHIIP). Every now and then when he walks towards the other budgie he will bob his head up and down, beak shortly and then start pacing again. If the pacing budgie gets really excited he can fly a lap while screaching loudly in stead of pacing back and forth.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care