Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Headbobbing and regurgitation?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Headbobbing and regurgitation?

Postby Wolf » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:34 am

There is not a lot of information to go by, but I would wager that this has nothing to do with you bringing food. It sounds a lot like a hormonal bird and a mating dance just for you. So, in one respect it is very much a normal behavior. On the other hand mating season should be over for him, so it is time to get him on a lower protein diet and on a normal birds light schedule.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:54 am

lainmai wrote:Either you stop giving him so much attention or you simply deal with it. He thinks your his "mate" and is trying to feed you. There really isn't much you can do =/

There is no such thing as giving your bird too much attention. That is like saying don't give your kid too much attention.
The one thing I caught in your post was that you pet him. You should really only be doing head scratches. Petting encourages this kind of reaction.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:33 am

Senegals do a little courtship dance when they are hormonal and I think that's what yours is doing. They separate their wings from their bodies but not quite open them, they curve them while holding them just a bit out, then they crouch a bit and go round and round first one way and then the other -it's the CUTEST thing! :D In spring, when my male is hormonal he likes to dance on my hand or arm and I singsong for him: "Round and round and round he goes, when he will stop, nobody knows" (he likes the song :lol: )

If he is regurgitating this time of the year (he should be in molt now), he is still producing too many sexual hormones so, please, re-evaluate his light schedule and diet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby owlyssa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:19 pm

Thanks, Wolf and Pajarita! I'm glad Kona's not doing anything that should raise red flags in terms of his health. I was getting nervous when he started doing this. Pajarita, that's the cutest thing!! :lol: I'll be modifying his diet accordingly. Thank you again!!
owlyssa
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot - Kona
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:29 am

Yes, it is without a doubt the cutest thing! But, between you and me, it's also a bit of a pain in the neck, too, because when he starts, he doesn't want to stop and, although I do pay attention to him (I feel sorry because I know he is frustrated that Zoey Senegal doesn't accept him as his mate), I can't just stay there holding my hand or my arm steady without moving for as long as he wants so I let him do it for a few minutes while I sing to him and then I distract him by saying: "Peekabird? Peekabird?" (that's what he says when he wants something I am eating -I guess that, in his mind, it means: "Can I have some?") while I offer him a bit of something. It usually works very well although, sometimes, I have to wait a bit and repeat it again.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care