Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

water bottle questions

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

water bottle questions

Postby a.susz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 pm

so i've been in the process of switching my parrots to water bottles because I cannot stand their pellet dunking anymore! :lol:

my senegal was already on a bottle so he knew thats where he needed to start getting his water from right away. my pionus i THINK is drinking from the bottle(the level has gone down a little) but im leaving his water dish in his cage until i see him use the bottle.

my problem is getting my african red belly interested in the water bottle. i have not seen her even approach it to examine it. how can i get her interested? i tried putting it up to her, she shy's away. i show her that water comes out of it close to her but i think she could care less. just having trouble thinking of ways to get her to notice it. what do you guys think?
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2
Flight: Yes

Re: water bottle questions

Postby Michael » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Don't provide any water to the bird all morning. Let it eat its pellets. Then it will be really thirsty and will pay more interest to water coming out of the bottle.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care