Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help opinions needed please

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Help opinions needed please

Postby Tricia » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Hello I am new to the forum, I want to know if anyone can help me with my young Senegal, I have been corresponding with the breeder for months and he gave me the impresssion he was taming her while letting the parent birds feed her, I went to see her and he got her out the nest and all seemed fine. However I went to pick her up just over a week ago and she is not tame, he said his wife has been working with her and would show me what she could do, all she did was put her finger up to the cage, and when she got her out of her cage to put her in to her carrier she flapped all over the place. I asked him why he had removed his other two birds which for sale from the advertisining site and he said he was now selling them as aviary birds as they were not pets, I can't then understand how my one can be classed any different as she was allowed out into the parentl main flight area and they only put her in her own cage a few days before I picked her up? She won't come near to my husband or myself and he said just to talk to her for 2 weeks then try to put my hand in the cage for a week, and then see how it goes, but I have paid for a hand tame bird and she is not one at all. She has nipped out at us many times, doesn't show any interest in her toys we got her and yet she eats well.. Anyone got any idea if she will be possible to tame or should I as he suggested take her back for my money back as he admitted this was the first time they had let the parent birds do the work due to lack of time.. thank you all Tricia
Tricia
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Help opinions needed please

Postby Rue » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:44 pm

She's certainly young enough to work with, and she's been started, but he shouldn't have charged you extra if he didn't put in the work.

It's up to you. I would keep her and work with her myself, but ask for a portion of the money back.

Birds are slow. There are no quick fixes. They take time.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Re: Help opinions needed please

Postby jhuff » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm

I agree. I dont think he should have charged you extra if he did not do what he said he would. You wouldnt pay extra for leather interior and drive off with cloth. I wouldnt give her back, because she is young enough that you can work with her and help some of the issues she is having.
When i got Binx, he was two and would just bite at me and hang upside down in his cage, he has come a LONG LONG way in 3 years, but everyday is a new day.
Take your time, dont give up and dont get angry. There are a TON of good articles on this Forum that could be useful to you.

I would ask for some of my money back, however, if he refuses.. Since he is just working out of his home, it could turn into a civil issue and to continue on with it you would have to pay to take him to court, but i would at least ask him for some of your money back. :D
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care