Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I've been replaced by a disco ball!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: I've been replaced by a disco ball!

Postby Titanius » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Red Moppet wrote:Titanius, I thought the disco ball was so cute in the store! I figured the mirror sections were too small for Sputnik to really see himself in so I thought it would be ok. What happened with Jasper when you took his mirror away?

Basically what Azure said. He fell in love with this mirror and became a little psychotic? He'd do this repeated warbling on and on. I eventually took out the toy. He wasn't depressed or anything he basically went"Awwh noo its gone what now.....BUT wait oooo nice bell toy !!!! " and forgot about it. Never really saw that behavior again.

And to add on to that, When I was younger I had budgies and they always hit it off.. Usually it was instant.Maybe I was lucky?
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby Red Moppet » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:46 pm

Ha ha, your description of his attention span is great! : ) I did the switch this morning and when I put Sputnik in his cage he was a little confused at first, but then he played with another toy. I also had the nature station on which plays bird noises, nature sounds & music and he called back to the birds he heard chirping! So at least he wasn't totally in his own little world. He has a stuffed frog that he lavishes attention on when he's out of his cage but never to the extent he wooed the disco ball. I guess also I'll make sure I rotate his toys more often maybe.

The budgies that got along, did you get them at the same time from the same place? Or does that really matter, as long as I follow quarantine protocol and keep them in separate cages?
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby Titanius » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Nope. I first got two and they were pretty much best friends. Then something tragic happened to one and then we got another at the same pet shop and got another. I put them in the same cage together and they were preening each other within minutes they made pretty fast friends. So there were 2 different occasion where the birds got along from the getgo. (this is before I knew anything really about quarantining ,mind you) Popular opinion is to quarantine to stay on the safe side.
The one that I lost didn't die because of anything illness related though.
Titanius
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby pchela » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Hmmm... you could probably get away with a Cockatiel or another type of parakeet like a Bourkes or something. You're right, a lovebird would be too aggressive for a little budgie.

I would personally get another male. Not because of how they'd get along but because I would not want to worry about egg laying and egg binding with a female budgie.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care