Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Difference between the sexes

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Difference between the sexes

Postby Mona » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 pm

Eb Cravens frequently writes some very good articles about how he raises baby parrots in his nursery by focusing on how parrots live naturally. I have read a few articles that talked about some significant behaviorial differences between the sexes of different species.

This is a topic that is not discussed much. I don't know why but I think it may be because a lot of people do not know the sexes of their parrots. A lot of parrots look alike.

There are clearly going to be differences in behaviors that are influenced by the sex of the parrot. Most behaviors are modifiable but I personally believe that a knowledge of tendencies can go a long way towards understanding behaviors and modifying them before they become problem behaviors.

What differences do you see between the sexes? Please include the species that you are talking about in conversation because behaviors definitely vary widely between different species that evolve in completely different ecological niches.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Difference between the sexes

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:59 pm

Mona wrote:What differences do you see between the sexes? Please include the species that you are talking about in conversation because behaviors definitely vary widely between different species that evolve in completely different ecological niches.

Well Kathleen tends to be more gentle and hands off, trying to get the bird to do things on its own. I on the other hand am more direct and stubborn. All I can say is Kathleen gets bit and I don't.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Mona » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:23 pm

You forgot to include the species....
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby SirHubi » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes, I agree with Mona. Not many people talk about different sexes of parrots. I heard that cockatiel boys speak better, however girls are better at tricks. I am interested if there is any difference between senegal girl, or boy. :senegal:
:senegal: - Cookie
SirHubi
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus (Senegal Parrot)

Return to General Parrot Care