Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 am

Yes, I do the same thing. I have different phrases and routines for different 'outings' and it's amazing how well they learn and understand the difference between one and the other.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:26 am

Pajarita wrote:Yes, I do the same thing. I have different phrases and routines for different 'outings' and it's amazing how well they learn and understand the difference between one and the other.

Rainbow was a real talker when I got him. He was so excited to be in my house that he used every word he had. One day I put my purse on my shoulder and started for the door. He asked me "whatsha doin". I told him "I'm leaving you". He said "bye bye".
Rainbow did not teach me anything about birds but he educated me in Rainbow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 am

:lol: Oh, I am sure he/she taught you about parrots, in general, too and not only about Rainbow!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:40 am

Rainbow did not know she was a bird. She thought she was a kid and was raised that way. These days Rainbow does not care how long I am gone as long as she has her step stool and cardboard. Myrtle hangs on curtains watching me leave and will hear my car and come back to the window to watch for me.
With three people in the household they are never alone but are tightly bonded to me and miss me even when I am gone to the mailbox. At least Myrtle does. Rainbow could care less as long as she has her step stool.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:43 am

I don't think that my parrots miss me when I run an errand... For one thing, I don't run that many errands to begin with and, for another, I always do it after they are put back in their cages for the afternoon and, because they have been flying around for hours and hours, they go in without a problem and, sometimes, even eagerly for a nice snack and nap.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care