Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Leaving a parrot alone - how long is OK?

Postby stevesjk » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Just to stress when i said a birdsitter would be fine i meant someone the bird knows and likes. Also i didnt mean just popping in for 5 minutes to feed and water, i meant more as a house sitter to stay with the bird.

Other than that you shouldnt have a bird.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Pajarita wrote:John (Navre) is correct. It's one thing to have a super emergency and have no choice to leave a bird alone (not that I would EVER consider doing such a thing!) but it cannot be done as part of their regular life. Parrots need to have company 24/7/365 to stay happy and healthy. This is not a matter of anybody's opinion, it's the way nature made them and you can't go against nature's rules without consequences. Loneliness is EXTREMELY stressful to them and stress depresses the immune system which means a fertile ground for disease. Some birds are needier than others and species like macaws, cockatoos, grays and the GCCs are the worst - they are very unhappy when the owner works full time so imagine how they would feel if they are left alone every single weekend?! It would be a terrible, terrible life for them - almost torture! Please reconsider getting a parrot because your lifestyle does not permit it... even getting a sitter to come in every weekend to feed it and check on it would not be acceptable. You could do that with a dog or a cat but, when it comes to parrots, the only one that 'does it' for them is their owner.

I don't know much about finches, except that the gold ones like to eat thistle in my back yard, but maybe a little flock of finches would work. They seem generally disinterested in people, there are many beautiful varieties, and they make neat little noises.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:36 am

Oh, yes, little finches or a canary would do OK if precautions are taken (timers for the lights, extra food in several feeders, etc) but they are not interactive at all and I suspect that the OP wants the interaction that one gets from a parrot.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 am

Budgies would be more entertain.nment
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby tippy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 am

If you have one of these feeders (that don't get clogged from the empty seed hulls):
https://www.amazon.com/Integrated-Autom ... er+no+mess

plus enough fresh water and maybe some other food hung in the cage you can leave the budgies up to 1 week alone without supervision (better with a second bird and a large cage where they can fly around while you are gone).
tippy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: budgies

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 am

No, no, no, you can't leave ANY animal alone for more than a few hours! It's not a matter of food or water, it's a matter of being there to monitor their health, to make sure they are evacuated if there is a fire, etc. etc. It's like leaving a child alone...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby tippy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:42 am

Basing your answer on that maybe something will happen to his/her health when you leave for a couple of days is not what comes to my mind. I do not live in fear and don't live my life just because maybe something terrible will happen...a bird is not a toddler who can play with matches, etc. A bird does not do such stupid things!
tippy
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 am

It's not 'playing with matches' that is the danger, my dear, it's the fact that birds hide their symptoms until they are VERY sick so you need to check on them twice a day [early in the morning and again in the pm] if you want to 'catch' anything that might be starting. And let's not even go into the possibility of a bird getting its foot, beak, wing, etc caught in something and dying of thirst and hunger with a bowl full of food and plenty of water - or of the heating system failing during the winter and the bird dying of hypothermia - so many things can happen! I repeat, leaving an animal unattended is as dangerous as leaving a child unattended. Birds should not be considered 'expendable' even if they are cheap little budgies...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby tippy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 am

It is really ashame that you think that budgies, just because they are cheap, that they are expendable...I am not sure what type of relationship you have with your birds.

To live in constant fear of something "maybe" occurring is not living. I highly recommend you seek some help.

Have a nice day and good recovery!
tippy
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 am

Wow. Reading comprehension is dying a slow death in this world.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care