Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your parrot hate toes?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Does your parrot hate toes?

Postby captwest » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:13 am

Never mind the evil bird, how about the evil girlfriend ? :o
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby guybo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:51 pm

I've seen this topic here for a while but never tried introducing any of the birds to my toes. Last night I introduced Perseus to my toes while he was walking around exploring.

He preened them. It felt kinda weird and very ticklish but I let him. So to answer the thread topic-

Nope, my Perseus is not afraid of toes.
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"

Postby Roger P » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:28 am

Merlin does not hate toes, as he climbed my feet while they rested on the coffee table this morning. No bites, but man did it tickle! I had to get him off my feet, I just could not take it :lol:
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby issy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:52 am

Sheldon attacks my family members toes and since he is flighted he usually gets them XD

I don't know why he won't go for mine..
Image- Sheldon

Image- Evey
issy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow Lorikeet
Sun Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:50 pm

I haven't tested Scooter or Scotty for toe-aggression, but my husband reports that his late Cockatoo was very dangerous to be around if you weren't wearing socks. What an odd phenomenon!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby NinjaNate » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Our green cheek Koa seems to have a blissful ignorance towards my feet when we walk around the house doing chores and cooking and all. He follows me happily doing his little hop/run and quacking... But once he pays attention and notices my feet up close he's ready to fight. Cheeks puffed, beak open, wings spread, battle shriek, then the angry maniacal cackle once I retreat. The same goes if I put my feet on a table, at a "level playing field".

Does anyone know why they have this reaction?

I notice similar behavior whenever Koa sees that "other bird" in the mirror. So I wonder if they see it as another creature encroaching on their territory? And I feel this is a bit more of a stretch, but have wondered if the shape of the toes resemble a bird to them (primarily the big toe)? Just a thought, since I really haven't seen anything concrete anywhere to explain why TOES are supervillains in many bird's minds.
NinjaNate
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: (Yellow sided) green cheeked conure

Postby kaylayuh » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:00 am

I don't let my feet uncovered anywhere near any of my birds. They've been bitten too many times to chance it. And biting a toe really, really hurts.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby coral » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm

lol my bird will only chase my grandmas feet because he hates her :/ he loves to play with my toes though and he tries to do the same with my best friend but shes afraid of him (wonder why? /marty tried to take her pinky off when he wandered out of my room and she picked him up :? ) anyways he likes certain peoples feet i guess but doesnt like my grandmas? haha :lol:
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot

Postby Nevermore » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:34 am

My boy was scared half to death when he discovered my toes. He was sitting on a table near them...I wiggled them...He freaked out, and went banana's trying to kill them. He has been anti-toes since.
Wild animals are called 'wild' for a reason. Keep them that way. Adopt your pets, or buy them from a certified breeder.
Nevermore
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheeked Conure

Postby KNG » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Lola HATES toes. Its her mission to kill them. I made the mistake of sitting on the floor with her with my legs stretched out, and she ran towards them, so I had to roll on my back like a helpless turtle to avoid getting bit. :lol:
KNG
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, lovebirds, gouldian finches, society finches, canaries

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care