Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flock Dominance

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Flock Dominance

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:30 pm

For folks with multiple birds, do you believe that you could rank your birds from most dominant to least. And does a pattern emerge which bird sits higher than the others and gets first dibbs on perches/things than the others do? Is this dominance directly a factor of aggression, size, intelligence, seniority, age, or other?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Flock Dominance

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:43 am

I would say the flock leader would be Shade; and she does not try to affirm it with any sens of violence but it seems that all the other birds know..except Petey. And I think Petey is still rather removed from the flock that way, or rather she could be considered like an older person in a tribe; she's there, she's old, doesn't really have a standing other than "elder".
Then Zuri and Piper could come in second. Which one over the other....not sure.
Joey is definitively the push-around bird. Not an inch in dominance in him and if he tries to pick a fight, well he backs out before the other bird retaliates.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Mona » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Michael:

I think flock dynamics are fluid so I wouldn't say one is "dominant". I would say that I have a few that are BIGGER and some that can become more aggressive to other birds.

Kiri is the biggest, so she has a tendency to wander around and every body pretty much gets out of her way.

Babylon can fly and pick on other birds. She is my hen and I have two boys, so you have to believe that she has more of a drive to find a good nesting area and defend it. She is also my best flyer so she has a great advantage in the air. I am sure that the boys effect her hormones and this ups her drive to be more "resource possessive". For example: I just set up curtains to the upstairs to try to keep her from flying upstairs and making a nest out of sight. The curtains have become very fun for the Senegals to play on and they all three wil hang on them. Babylon and Jack are semi-bonded so they play well together, but they both will drive Bailey away from the curtains from time to time. If Jack and Babylon are playing on the curtains, Bailey is not. They will pick on Bailey individually, and they will gang up on him so I do have to keep an eye on them. For the most part, they get along fine in the room together but every once in a while, they chase Bailey and he has to find a spot in the room where they will not follow him (like the top of the "Get-a-grip" net)

Phinney has her own sensibilities and on occasion, will chase Babylon. Babylon on occassion will fly and pick on Phinney but since the grey is the bigger bird, Phinney will stand up to her and they will beak spar. This usually ends in a flying, hissy fit and then the two birds get past it. Phinney and Babylon go to a lot of places with me and I wouldn't say they are exactly "buddies" but I often refer to them as "partners in crime".

Phinney is bigger but she is also a secure bird since she has been mine since she was a baby....so, she's not aggressive and that seems to work well for the flock dynamics.

Interesting question. Thanks
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby greatgriffin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:26 am

Oh and another flock member we must not forget - ourselves.
Even in our fairly limited flock of 2 (Crackie + myself) I am struggling to keep my dominance, and actually I am not always convinced that I am the lead! She is a real queen, a madam, and she will try to express her dominance whenever she can.

Any good tips on how to do this efficiently without stressing the bird?
greatgriffin
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Australian king parrot (F, 2006)

Return to General Parrot Care