Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird outliving its owner?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bird outliving its owner?

Postby Kathleen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 am

Are you worried your bird(s) will outlive you? Do you have someone that would take care of them for you if they did?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird outliving its owner?

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:00 am

Most of my birds should, in theory, not outlive me if I take into account their life expectancy and assuming nothing happens to me.

Should something happen to me, my boyfriend would either a) take care of them b) if he can't manage them all, should find proper families. We have discussed how to do so. He also has people around to help him, namely my parents. If something were to happen to both my boyfriend and I, then my parents would take care of finding my birds new homes.

My parents do have birds that will likely outlive them; I will receive some of them (we have discussed this already), but most of them will have to go to new homes. Chances are my mom will have to place some when it gets too much to take care of. If not, it will fall on me to do so.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:55 pm

It's a very real possibility that Mojo may outlive me. Yellow crowned amazon's live typically from 50-70 years and sometimes 80+ in the wild. If I live to 100 I might outlive him ;) .

Currently I have him willed to my husband, then to my sister. My sister does not like birds and doesn't know anything about them except to take care of him for short periods of time. She does however know what to look for for a new home and a new family for him. Hopefully when I have kids they'll be bird lovers and then I can will him to them, but this is my current plan.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 pm

A budgie's average lifespan is something like 7 years, but I think this is impacted by the fact that they are generally so mistreated. :? A well cared for budgie can live around 10 to 15 years. I'm not too worried about Duke outliving me. He's not the type of bird that gets attached to people anyway.
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby ColleenM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

My best friend's bird (hyacinth macaws & cockatoo) are willed to me. My birds (cockatoos) are willed to my best friend and then to my niece. All of these have such long life spans that it had to be considered and even if they didn't, we never know how long our own life will be so I wanted to be sure they were taken care of.
ColleenM
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Lesser Sulphur Cockatoo, Hyacinth Macaw, Moluccan Cockatoo
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care