Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:50 am

Awwww, how sweet!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 am

Shadow is the only one left of my original cockatiels. He decided to flock when I set it up and has not been a pet for a long while. He has decided to be my pet again. He is now coming to where I am and talking to another. He has been coming up behind Tommy when Tommy asks for kisses. I love him as a pet but also love his freedom in the flock.

After Maggie died, Jackie pestered Andy until he accepted her as a mate. He has been trying to make contact with me and stands near Jackie when she is talking to me. He has always enjoyed my talking to him but he is getting really close now.

Rainbow really enjoys his cage even though he is free in the house. (Myrtle will not go in a cage no matter what I try) I am going to bring in the big cage that came with him and set it up the way I had it before. Then give the cockatiels another cage to play in.

Rainbow spends most of his day under the step stool. He has stopped chewing on my house. My morning schedule includes sweeping the small pieces of cardboard up and giving her new cardboard. He stands near by and watches me to make sure I leave his step stool.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 am

Yes, the zon breeding season is over. Mine have started their molt.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 am

Rainbow is still enjoying his step stool. He has not gotten into trouble since he found the stool. Sometimes she even sleeps in there.

I have to sweep up the cardboard bits every day. She will stand and watch me to make sure I do not take her stool.

It amazes me that she smells what food I have and comes out to remind me where she is. When I give her something she will take it back in her box to eat it.

I made pasta and she stood in her doorway until it was done and she got her share. I put it on a plastic lid in her doorway so she doesn't make a mess of the box.

Myrtle is still antagonizing me every day and many times a day. I need to find her a place to play other than her swinging on a chain at the sliding glass door.

When I go out the back door it is usually to go to my sons house. She hangs on Aunt B's curtain to watch me go and yells hello at me. When I go for the newspaper and mail, she sits in the front window to watch me.

She has learned that when I put my purse on my shoulder that I am going to use the car to go and does not bother to hang in the window. She knows the sound of my car and is in the front window when I pull into the driveway and the first to greet me.

The cockatiels are doing fine. I have not spent as much time as I want since it "hit the fan" again in my life. They miss me and hang on the door to talk to me. I know their voices and can call to them by name even when I do not see who it is.

The Cockatiels still wait for Phoenix to go to the food tray before they join in with their meals. The know his problem and give him special attention. They also know that Gimpy is going to land in the middle of the tray and do not even flinch when he lands.

It is amazing that they know Phoenix's and Gimpy's problems and make allowances for them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am

I hope the whatever hit the fan doesn't last, Liz. There is a Spanish saying that says that nothing bad lasts 100 years so hang in there and this, too, shall pass.

Your tiels are nice but not all birds are like that. Codee loves Pablo but she gets annoyed at his slowness and will, every now and then, snap at him. Poor Pablo, I wish I could think of something that will make his life easier...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 am

Myrtle picks on Rainbow when she gets bored. It was an every day thing before Rainbow found her stool. Not long ago while being picked on, Rainbow bit her toe. She is now more careful how she picks on Rainbow.

I am amazed at the attention span of the Amazons. Rainbow eats her breakfast then goes to her step stool. She is there except when she goes to eat. She has also started telling me to give her her snacks under their. When I offer a snack she will go to her box to tell me she wants it in there. It is usually her evening almond.

Myrtle has a variety of things she likes. She will chew on a cardboard box but is still using her shower curtain chain to swing on when she is not on me. She is nosey and hangs on me to see what I am doing. It is not always my shoulder. She even hangs off the back of my shirt. It is hard to get anything done when she hangs on the front of my shirt.

Phoenix is trying to fly but can only hover. I think I am going to trim his other wing to give him a greater balance. He still does not want me to touch him with my hand but has started allowing me to touch him with the back of my hand while scattering seed on their evening tray. He is such a sweet bird. When I go in the room and he is in the cage he will push the others around to get to the side of the cage so I can talk to him.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:56 am

:lol: I hear you on how difficult it is to move around and get things done when you have birds hanging from you in 'inconvenient' places! Sweetpea has the bad habit of jumping on me and climbing down my back so he can hang on to the bottom of whatever I am wearing...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:33 am

:lol: I thought Myrtle was the only one who would hang on the back of a shirt.

It is so normal for Myrtle to be on me that I have gone outside a few times with her still on my shoulder. I walked over to my son's house and was inside when my son told me she was there. For safety I put her in a box to get her home. When I opened it at home she was confused. The room she was in was not the same as when she went into the box.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:27 am

Thankfully, so far, I've never forgotten that I have a bird on me when I go out - but then, it's VERY rare that I go out when they are out, I always wait until they go back into their cages in the afternoon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 am

Myrtle is always out so I am used to her being on my shoulder. I don't think she really wants to go out but is on my shoulder when I do. When I went to Charles' with her on my shoulder she was silent probably from fear of being outside. She did not say anything until I was in Charles' house.

Ever since she was sucked off my shoulder and thrown out in the wind she does not like the outside. Now when I answer the door with her on my shoulder she will get on my back and peak around me to see who it is.
I have a doggie door and she is smart enough to know that it leads outside. She has never offered to go to it.

There have been times that I go into the cockatiel room without realizing that she is on my shoulder. Once in I tell her to "hang on" and she does while in there. "hang on" is the first thing she learned from me.
When bringing her back from SC, I talked to her a lot to get her used to my voice. When I would make a turn I told her to "hang on". She learned what it ment right then.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care