Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Bird woman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:07 am

I'm going to paint the bird room this summer to look like a big water melon with lady bugs crawling up the walls . And weird can be good and a breath of fresh air. Tax's not so good , I hold my breath every year hoping I paid enough quarterlys in. :roll: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:16 pm

liz wrote:I have decided and purchased a bright yellow and a bright green paint that has the label that Pajarita said is the best. Two walls will be yellow and two will be green.
The base boards suffered in that room so we took them off. I will replace them with non treated wood so they can chew them up safely. I will do the same in the activity room. My son is also going to put a screen door with cage wire on that room to protect the rest of the house.
After being in the bathroom for so long they will enjoy a 12X12 room that I will share with them. I will let them loose to fly and walk each evening before serving their supper.

Sounds like a good plan to me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Pajarita wrote:
liz wrote:I have decided and purchased a bright yellow and a bright green paint that has the label that Pajarita said is the best. Two walls will be yellow and two will be green.
The base boards suffered in that room so we took them off. I will replace them with non treated wood so they can chew them up safely. I will do the same in the activity room. My son is also going to put a screen door with cage wire on that room to protect the rest of the house.
After being in the bathroom for so long they will enjoy a 12X12 room that I will share with them. I will let them loose to fly and walk each evening before serving their supper.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

I meant let them loose in the house. I still will not cage them. The 12X12 room will be our cage.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 am

Louise has been feeding herself for a while now. Phoenix taught her how but he still feeds her every evening.
When I went in to feed them yesterday morning I was zoomed by Louise. She must have followed Phoenix to the top of the cage where the door was open. (2 doors in the front) I was working on "step up" but she was a little scared of my hands. She has been watching the others and to my surprise she landed on the top of the cage and walked to the side where I was. She proceeded to open a tweeter conversation. About an inch from my nose she was telling me all about how excited she was to be out and flying with the others. It is a shame that Phoenix cannot fly with her. He has just been staying in the cage. In the cockatiel room he is out on the floor with Tweet who cannot fly. I am sure that Louise will spend time with him when they get there.

The cockatiel room is almost done with all the bright colors. While looking at it I was thinking how proud Wolf will be of me when he sees it. Then I got depressed. It will be a long time before I stop thinking of him as still here

While I was spraying my plants on my son's back deck, Rainbow came out to his outside cage. He started doing his shower dance. I sprayed him with the mist and he loved it. He was drenched. He lifted his wings and butt to get them sprayed too. Myrtle watched but she is still a little afraid of being in the outside cage. Ever since her trauma she is really afraid of being outside and usually just stays in the window to yell at the neighbors and their dogs.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:41 am

I am just so happy that I have to tell you. I went in the cockatiel room and Phoenix was at the bottom of the cage. He walked to my corner to have a tweeter. I cannot bend so I got on my hands and knees. We were even touching through the cage. He wanted to give kisses and made the sounds but was still not sure.
In the mean time Jackie landed on the floor and walked under my arm and was tweeting something to my face. Then she went between my knees and started chewing on my PJs.
Tommy who has a nest on the other side of the curtain stuck his head out and threw kisses at me until I kissed him. He was near my right ear.
Someone was calling me from the top of the cage so I had to leave those 3. It was Gimpy and he wanted to sing me a song. I still can't get closer than a foot from him but he is making contact.
All the while the others are watching and moving closer.

I can't wait to get them back to their room. All I have to do is sit on the floor and they all come to me at different distance. Some use me as a climbing tree. Tommy usually gets on my shoulder and tweets in my ear or sings me a song.
I will have them back in there room by the end of the week if not sooner. I still have to get the chewable base boards.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

Awwww, what a wonderful experience for you, Liz, and what a lovely image you created in my mind with your words! Cockatiels are the loveliest, loveliest birds, aren't they? They are so sweet that even when they were not handfed and come to us as adults, they still become tame and loving to us... It's a royal shame that people keep them as only birds when there is no real need for them to suffer such loneliness!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:45 am

I feel awful. My Cockatiels have been hard to keep up with. I have only been seeing about half when I go in their room. I thought the others were on their fake eggs. I would see different ones each time which made me believe that is what was going on.

Friday it dawned on me that I have not seen Tweet since Jackie started nesting. Saturday I got a flashlight and searched for her. I found Amos under the bed. He had been dead for a while. I found Tweet stuck between two things and dead.

With them loose and nesting I did not do a roll call. How awfull that they not only died but that I took so long to look for them. I miss those two and am ashamed of myself for not knowing that they were missing for so long. (When I took Amos' body out from under the bed, Tommy had to check him as if trying to figure out how he died.) It is a big loss for me and the flock. I could kick myself for not seeing something was wrong.

I will take over getting the Cockatiel room ready and finish it by tonight. Rachel is not home and cannot stop me. I have asked her for 4 months to finish that room since she did not want me doing it. The remaining birds will go back to their room tomorrow.
There is nothing I can do for Amos and Tweet but mourn. I promised the others that it would never happen again.

I trusted Rachel and gave her the benefit of the doubt as to why it was taking her so long. I will never again depend on her for anything. She kept them from going back to their own room but it was my fault for letting them die and all alone.
Now I know why Flutter has been sitting on the fake eggs all alone.
I really hate myself for this. No one give me sympathy. I do not deserve it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Liz, my dear, we all make mistakes, ALL of us without exception! And it doesn't matter how much experience we have and how careful we think we are, we all end up messing up... especially when we have a number of animals under our care. Don't beat yourself up. I know that you are still going to do it because I would do it, too but things happen and they had a wonderful life with you. Please accept my sincerest condolences for your loss. I know how you are feeling right now and I wish I had the words to make you feel better but I don't...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Thank you Pajarita.

I took roll call this morning and Flutter was the only one who did not answer. He was in a box sitting on fake eggs.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am

Liz, with birds, it's always 'live and learn' and this is true for ALL of us. Now you know that you have to take roll call every morning and every evening and this will not happen to you, again. Learning from our mistakes is the only thing that we can do...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care