Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:55 am

One of the cockatiels did a wolf call. Myrtle answered. It went back and forth for a while then I heard other cockatiel voices join in.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:39 am

:lol: Yes, the wolf whistle is always the very first one they learn and it always cracks me up! Whenever one of my birds does it, I always do it right after them and say: "Pretty bird!"
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 am

It is getting harder to sweep the kitchen floor. I only do it every other day. Rambo's box and step stool are in a corner in the kitchen. When I sweep I throw the old box out. Rambo watches me and is not pleased. Then I give her another box and put her step stool in it or at the entrance. She gets all excited and makes her happy noises.
Rambo likes to sleep in her box. Now I see her taking food in with her. She only comes out when I ask her where she is.

The cockatiel room is out of control. What I thought was a bonded pair is probably two males Jackie has been giving Leroy a lot of attention. Little Andy is left alone a lot of the time. Jackie is wanting to bond with one of the new ones and divors Andy.
Add this to the adultery in the flock and they are all strange.

I stole a kiss from Jackie while we were talking nose to beak. Andy wants to join in the fun but Jackie keeps blocking him. I am surprised that he does not hate me for all the medecine I had to give him. I guess I am forgiven.

Every day one of the cockatiels will do something new. I love them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:30 am

I love cockatiels they are so clownish not only because how they look. But, I love their personality I wished I have interacted with parrots more. The only hands on interaction I have with parrots are a cockatiel and a green cheek conure. When I live on my own I hope to either get a cockatiel, princess parakeet or a pionus parrot.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:08 am

Oh, I am SOOOO glad you posted, Liz! I was beginning to worry and was going to send you a pm... I would not worry about Rainbow's behavior, it's the season... everybody is going a bit crazy with the hormones. Naida Zon has decided she wants to nest next to the front door between the wall and an end table so I've had to put boxes there and, because Mami feels that the space should be protected at all cost, she does not allow my husband to walk near -which is a BIG problem because the stairs to the bedrooms are there! So, four or five times a day, I have to stop what I am doing and go 'rescue' my husband from both of them so he can go up or down the stairs :lol:

I would just wait it out with the tiels. I have found that birds take about two years to do what I call 'find their place in the flock' and, every time there is an addition, the 'two year clock' starts back again. Here, everybody is getting used to the quakers so we are also back on the 'two year clock'...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 am

I have been teaching my critters the word mine". The dogs and cats know it means don't bother to beg that they are not getting any. The Amazons are suppose to be smarter so I guess they thinyeark they can change my mind.
I thought Myrtle was giving kisses until I felt her tung moving around on my lips. She was trying to taste what I had.

Rambo is not trying to nest. She just likes taring up cardboard.

I have not heard any mating sounds in the cockatiel room. They are quite noisy when they mate. None are trying to set up nests. I have 3 that are 2 years old. The rest are in excess of 8 years old. I don't know because they are rescues, some of which went through many hands before getting to me.
Most did not know the name of the bird.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am

After Myrtle goes to bed, Rambo sneaks up and finishes the stuff she likes from Myrtles dish.

Myrtle has been trying to steal the dog food. She gets the bowl while they are eating and drags it hoping the dogs will not see where it went

There is no stealing in the Cockatiel room. They continue to let Andy, Phoenix and Impy eat first.

Nose to beak, Jackie let me kiss her. Andy wanted a kiss but Jackie kept blocking him so she could keep me for herself.

The Cocatiels are so noisy. They sing and talk to each other with tweeters. It is such a happy noise. The only time they are quiet is between 2 and 4 pm. That is nap time for all the critters.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am

After Myrtle goes to bed, Rambo sneaks up and finishes the stuff she likes from Myrtles dish.

Myrtle has been trying to steal the dog food. She gets the bowl while they are eating and drags it hoping the dogs will not see where it went

There is no stealing in the Cockatiel room. They continue to let Andy, Phoenix and Impy eat first.

Nose to beak, Jackie let me kiss her. Andy wanted a kiss but Jackie kept blocking him so she could keep me for herself.

The Cocatiels are so noisy. They sing and talk to each other with tweeters. It is such a happy noise. The only time they are quiet is between 2 and 4 pm. That is nap time for all the critters.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:09 am

When I say the word "mine" the dogs and Rambo know what I am saying and listen to it. Myrtle pretends she has no idea what I am saying.

Jackie thinks she is pulling a fast one. She gets on top of a cage and stands there until I get to her. She then leans out like she wants to kiss me. As I am leaning with a kiss she runs away. She will continue to tease me until I leave her.
Andy wants in on it but Jackie pushes him out of the way.

I am amazed that Andy has anything to do with me. I put him through a lot with his sore eye. It has healed and the eye ball has been absorbed.

Rambo is not hormonal any more. Instead of loving on my ankle, she now preens my ankle.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:08 am

Soooo great to hear from you and your birds! Jackie is trying the waters... she might still dip her toes a bit more, given enough time. And, yes, thankfully, the amazons are over their breeding season and now molting. All the long day breeders are but the short day breeders are at it now. It just doesn't end until it's winter...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care