Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 am

My new windows get put in today.

Rainbow does not mind being closed in his cage for a while. He has toys in there that he loves playing with. He loves the ball inside a ball and a bell in the middle. He can really beat it up. He spreads his wings around it so it won't roll too far while it is under attack. She is so happy when beating on it.

Myrtle is another matter. Putting Myrtle in a cage is like trying to put a cat in a carrier. They will have to do Aunt B's window first so I can put her in that room. She loves that room and hangs from the curtain rod to look out the window when she is not tormenting Aunt B. Myrtle loves to slap her with her wings as she goes by or pull her hair to make her scream. (Aunt Betty is a screamer and the Amazons love to make noise in any way.)

I took all the extra perches out of the Cockatiel room so they will all go to the cage. Last night I put their supper and water in there. It will be crowded for a while but they have all gone in at one time on their own before. If I can't get them all closed in together then I will just stay in there to keep them in the far side of the room. When they are scared they fly around the room until tired then go to the safety of their cage.

Rachel still has stuff piled up in three rooms. Charles went over to clear paths to the windows since I cannot physically move the heavy boxes.

I really need those windows but am stressed to the max to have men in every room of my house. Charles will have to be with me to help with my PTSD problem. He seems to be the only one in the family I can depend on. He fights his problems when he needs to help me with mine.

Wish me luck. My birds have my heart and I will do all I can to get them through this.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 am

I have PTSD, too. I know how it feels. You'll get through it. You'll be okay.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 am

Navre wrote:I have PTSD, too. I know how it feels. You'll get through it. You'll be okay.

The guy is having truck problems. He called and cancelled for today. I have to go through this again tomorrow.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:04 am

Oh, shoot! And isn't that the worst?! I HATE it when I go through all the trouble of getting everybody put away because somebody is coming and they cancel at the last minute! I had to do it this morning because somebody from the English Bulldog rescue in LI came over to pick up a bulldog that had been left with me for rehoming [and a neighbor brought over a sick blue jay she found in her backyard two days ago -he did not make it, the poor thing!] but he showed up and in time so everything went well.

I don't have PTSD, anxiety, depression or anything at all but I also find it stressful when I have people working in the house... not for me, personally, but because I hate it when the animals have their routine changed.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:56 am

Rainbow is the only one going to enjoy the situation. She thrives on kaos and gets very talkative.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 am

Rainbow kept talking to the two men who came to install my windows. She got upset that they did not answer and went to baby blabber trying to get their attention.

She is upset that the new windows are deeper than the old trailer windows. There is no sill. She has always loved sitting in my window and I would open the window a little so she could feel the outside. I am going to have to put something in front of that window for her to climb and stand on.

Rainbow came complaining to me yesterday afternoon. When Rachel swept my floor she did not put the step stool back in place. That is a new play area for Rainbow. It is in a corner of the kitchen and I give her cardboard under it for her to tare up. She has stopped chewing on the cabinets and loves to be in the kitchen near me.

I did manage to get all the cockatiels in the flight cage before the guys came.

The guys were so nice. I needed Aunt B's window done first so I could put Myrtle in there and out of the way. They did the cockatiel window next so I could let them out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 am

Glad that everything worked out fine! As to the window, there are something they call window sill seats or something like that for cats which are made to be put in front of the window so the cat can look out which you could use for a parrot. Or, you can always put a piece of furniture in front of the window for Rainbow to stand on.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 am

Since I do not get visitors I am going to use untreated wood for window sills.
That would give them something to stand on and destroy.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:35 am

Yes, that works real well -I have them in the parrot room.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:43 am

The old Boxer, Jake, who is outside does not want to eat much. One of the things he will eat is pizza. I fix him a Tony's pizza every night to go with his canned food. Rainbow loves pizza. I scrap the toppings off so he just gets a little sauce on a little triangle shaped corner piece about the size of a penny. When Rainbow sees the package he comes running to the microwave. I have to hold him to keep him from standing in front of the microwave watching it go around. I have to put him down to cut it and the whole time he says "huh huh huh" which means don't forget him. Lately he has been eating the top to get the little bit of sauce still on it and leaving the rest.

I give her and Myrtle a piece of pasta but he wants a piece with sauce. I don't know why he will not eat tomato. He eats everything else that is red.

One night while playing poker with friends Rainbow was sitting on the back of my chair. He jumped onto the table and ran across it to grab a red M & M then ran and jumped off the table. I had to run him down to get it back. She can really run fast when I am after her. I got it but had to give him a red Jelly Belly to replace it.

Rainbow has been spending a lot of time under a step stool he found in the kitchen. I give him cardboard under there to have something to do rather than just sitting there. When I walk into the kitchen he tells me where she is. Each morning I sweep it up and give him another piece of cardboard. He came to me and complained when Rachel moved the stool. He has stopped chewing on my cabinets.

The Cockatiels have stopped nesting but I found an egg on the bottom of the cage. They did not seem to mind a man in their room when the windows were going in.

The men who put the windows in were so nice. They put Aunt B's window in first so I could put Myrtle in there and out of the way. They did the Cockatiel room next so I could let them out of the cage.

The windows cost me in excess of $7000. Now I have to save my pennies for the $4000 linoleum that I want to put in to replace the broken laminent. I was without a/c for a week when something happened to the duct work. (critters get under my house to make their homes). I will have to get it fixed before winter. I bought a 14000 btu a/c and put it in the wall where there was an a/c before centralI bought this house for $75000 but it is a real "Money Pit".
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care