Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

FRe: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Sun May 28, 2017 6:13 am

I promised Myrtle that I would never cage her. Of course I need to for travel but that is necessary.
They have been living in a bathroom with a balcony since December and seem to be doing quite well. They are getting along better too.

I was constantly repairing chewed places in my aunts house. I bought an old 5 bedroom house in Florida and have not caged them as promised. They left their signatures in every room. Their work is quite odvious. This cannot go on.
I will have to pay for replacing trim in my son's bathroom.

The 12X12 bedroom has been used as a catch all. I am not going to keep all my promise. They will be in a 12 foot by 12 foot room with me in it too. I am going to put a TV and computer in that room. Of course it will have to be parrot proofed with a way to cover my stuff.

I am looking forward to spending time in our cage. It will be good for us all since I will get more privacy from my aunt [i]She sits in the dining room which is the center or the open floor plan house.[/i]and they have room to play and Myrtle fly. I will have to use sheets to cover my stuff. Myrtle seems autistic and does not remember that there is actually something under a sheet.
My son already has the screen door and will replace the screen with cage wire. The Cockatiel room is so bright and cheerful that I may use the same colors in our new cage.

They have enjoyed the balcony that Charles put up for them temporarily. Charles is already designing a small screen room outside their window. I saw a picture of a self made cage outside for another members birds. I can't find it again but will try to duplicate it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 28, 2017 11:15 am

It sounds like a wonderful plan, Liz! And, I have to say, quite a treasure you have in Charles who is always so willing to help out with your animals! Two of mine are like that, too, but they live back home... My husband is not handy at all and, although he does help with the cats and the dogs, I have to nag and nag for him to do anything in the birdroom - but I am not complaining, he is good when it comes to paying for stuff (I just spent over $600 in two new cages and some 'pretties' for them and he didn't say anything)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon May 29, 2017 6:14 am

My son is bi polar with asbergers. He says his biggest stress is me. We left all our homes and moved here because he wanted me to be close to him. He got me now he has to deal with me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 29, 2017 10:11 am

:lol: And I am sure he 'deals' with you very well! I am lucky in all our children... they all 'deal' with me very well (from afar that is :lol:)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue May 30, 2017 6:28 am

I think, even though I have needed his help, he needed to help me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 am

And that is as it should be! As soon as I was able to, I helped my mother financially every month and did it until the day she died. I don't expect my children to do this but that is the way it should be: your parents care for you when you are small and then you care for them when they are old.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:16 am

In 1994 my Momma had to be a mother again. She took care of me when I could not. There were many time that my illness affected my thinking as well as my body.

In 2000 Momma had to have surgery. By then I understood my illness and it had let up a little so I was able to help. I moved in 2000 and stayed with her and Aunt Betty to help them. I still had bouts with illness but nothing like 1994 thru 2000.

When Momma needed a mom to take care of her, I stepped in. The weaker she got the stronger GOD made me. All parents should have at least one kid helping them. Out of her 4 I was the one. I have many more memories than my brother and two adopted sisters.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am

I hear you! My mother came to take care of me when I had to have a complete hysterectomy and radiation treatment for my cancer - I was 44 and she was 77 years old at the time and she had severe arthritis in her hands and a real bad heart condition which made her terribly fatigued when she exerted herself but, when I asked her to please come to be with me for moral support and company during the day, she dropped everything (she was still working in her own business then) and flew here in a matter of days. Every morning, she would make my breakfast, change my bed (there is nothing that makes me feel better than clean sheets in my bed!), sprayed the entire room with lavender (I love lavender!) and waited outside the bathroom door to make sure I did not fall and, in the evening, she made dinner for all of us. Just having her there made all the difference to me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:10 am

It really took 2 to take care of me. Aunt Betty was motivating back then. Momma was using a walker so if I got into trouble Aunt Betty would step in to help me.

I had just quit my job when I got down and could not get up. I had no income for a whole year. She bought my groceries and gave me cash. Her daughter died young and she claimed me.
The church took up a collection every month in that year. It was enough to keep my utilities on.

Aunt Betty has always been generous to me but that does not change her being a brat.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:05 am

:lol: Well, I would rather have a good-hearted brat living with me than an easy-going mean person!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care