Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:20 am

I think ALL houses are a money pit once they get to a certain age...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:42 am

Our big orange cat has two marks on his back. I think a preditor tried to pick him up but he was too heavy.
He has not caught anything that I know of since the time I found a live mouse in my toilet. I keep the lid down now. Our cats bring in live presents.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, it's not the most pleasant thing a cat owner has to deal with but they do it out of love...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:37 am

Myrtle was in the living room when she decided to have a whistle fest. One of the cockatiels joined it. She looked surprised.

Rainbow has been spending most of her day under a step stool. I give her new cardboard every morning after sweeping up all the little pieces from the day before. It has kept him out of trouble. Myrtle on the other hands spends her day looking for trouble.

I have been giving Charles the birds leftover seed. He puts it out for the squirrels and birds. One little squirrel has been coming to his door when the seed runs out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:57 am

Squirrels can get pretty aggressive if the think there is food. They will chew threw a screen door to get inside, etc.

Someone donated a large bag of peanuts in the shell to the rescue. We don’t give the birds peanuts like that, so I took the bag home. (If it’s in the rescue, SOMEONE will feed it to the birds eventually)

I have been putting the peanuts in a diet feeder and putting it on the bird feeder pole. Woodpeckers love peanuts and the peanuts disappear pretty quickly. A squirrel must have noticed the bag sodding in the family room behind the slider and he started chewing through the screen to get to the bag.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:46 am

Squirrels are much smarter than people give them credit for - that's for sure!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:33 am

I am washing walls in the cockatiel room. Some are flying around my head but others are riding on my back. Gotta love the personalities these little ones have. Some one behind me is singing.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 am

:lol: Bless you, Liz, but, as much as you and I might love them, cockatiels don't really 'sing' - they vocalize - only songbirds sing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:23 am

Ok, mine vocalize. They have many different sounds. They sound like songs to me. Sometimes they even sound off together. Now that is beautiful.

They hang on my son's door creation and squack when they want to call me.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:49 am

Andy finally gave in and is following Jackie's lead. When I went to their room this morning they both landed on the top of the cage and ran to me. Jackie was leaning out. I thought she was wanting on my shoulder so I leaned in and offered it. Instead she gave me a kiss and I didn't even need to ask for it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care