Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:24 am

I choose the greenest celery and give them a stalk. It is more entertainment than food. The stalk travels around the room. It is never where I put it.

I give Romane and other greens to the birds. Right now they are eating frozen carrot and green peas the best. They like frozen broccoli or fresh steamed. Rainbow knows when there is broccoli coming on his plate. His sense of smell is off the chart.
I put my groceries on the kitchen floor and put them away from there. Rainbow picks through the bags until he finds something he wants. He found a cucumber once and peeled it to get to the center while I was not looking.

Rainbow spends a lot of time under his step stool. I keep changing the boxes that I have around it as he chews them up. He sometimes sleeps in there too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:30 am

It's great that you are now giving them other type of greens but, if you put celery and Romaine together, they will go mostly for the celery because it's saltier and they love salt. Raw broccoli is best for them, not steamed or frozen. I use the frozen one in the gloop but they get raw once a week - they all love broccoli and, even birds that would not touch other greens would gladly eat the raw broccoli. When you say 'frozen' carrots and peas, you don't actually mean giving them the frozen veggie, right? You do thaw it before, no?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:57 am

Yes I thaw and put it in with the warm grain.

For some reason the cockatiels do not eat raw broccoli. Even my Amazons prefer steamed.

I give my tiels whole leaf Romane. When they are done biting it it looks like lace. Because it wilts so easy, I have to switch out all day.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:48 am

Yes, the budgies end up with the 'lace' leafy greens, too - they like to bite it in the middle of the leaf instead of the edges... I wonder why.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:46 am

Myrtle knows words and uses them to talk to me. She says pretty girl, good girl, no, Oh well,tickle and other little things.

I think this was her first sentence. She landed on me and said "tickle this pretty girl". They amaze me every day.

Rainbow is basically living under her step stool. She won't come out when I call but will come to the opening to accept treats.
I needed a step stool so I went for my folding step stool. When I was done I realized that Rainbow was under it too.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:53 am

Hmmm, her being in a 'box' indicates a breeding behavior which should not be happening right now.

As to favorite phrases birds say, mine is Sweetpea's "Dear me!" He sounds just like a little old lady :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:33 am

Rainbow and Myrtle like to tare up boxes. Every few days I sweep up their mulch.

Rainbow is no longer hormonal. Myrtle is not either. They still love taring up boxes.
The first time I gave Rainbow a box, she squeeled with excitment as I walked toward her. My mother came into the dining room to see what I was doing to the bird.

The only egg we found was on the dining room floor.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:49 am

Liz, female zons only spend time in the nest (box) when they are hormonal. Otherwise, they chew them but they don't go into them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Re: Rambo, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:40 am

My two Zons are not normal.They chew any box they find other than their favorite boxes. They love to chew on boxes from the inside out. When it gets down to almost nothing I will switch boxes. They have stopped chewing on my house. I hope.

I put toys in their boxes. I here them playing with them. Sometimes Rambo takes his snack in with him and I hear rummy sounds from inside the boxes.
Rambo loves my ankle when she is hormonal. That has not happened for a week now. YAY.

Giving them boxes to chew up keeps them busy. That is a busy without affecting the other critters. I can also hear where they are.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:01 am

:lol: Liz, your parrots are normal! All parrots are 'normal' when it comes to seasons and breeding behaviors. It's us who mess them up with the diet, the light schedule, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care