Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby liz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am

Good idea on the baby safety locks. I will try.

It seems that Jackie does not understand kisses. She got on the top of the cage. I have wood on top. Instead of kissing me she was making me kiss her. She ran across the top of the cage, which is at face level, and did not stop but body slammed my lips. It must have been a new game. She would run back to the other side then run up against my lips again. She has even run up to me and turned side ways for me to kiss her wing.

Andy has been leaving Maggie's side to get close and watch Jackie. I did not try to work with Andy at all so getting close to me is no big deal to him. I hope he is just getting closer to watch and not leaving Maggie. My flock does weird stuff. Tommy has not claimed another female. He still stays as close as he can to Tammy.

Myrtle needs an attitude adjustment. She thinks she is in charge of us all. I have not figured out yet how to do that. No to her is a word she throws back at me as if she is saying no to my no. She is progressing with her tantrums. I know I confuse her but I just can't keep not laughing.

Rainbow decides when she needs a shower. Again I looked out to see Rainbow doing her shower dance right beside my tub. She will take being sprayed but not really showered. I put her in the back of the tub and aimed the shower head against the curtain. She prefers to catch the water coming off the curtain.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 am

:lol: Smart cookie, that Rainbow! She likes her shower only when it's most similar to a gentle rain. I don't know what to tell you about Myrtle... I don't know exactly what the problem is that makes you say that she thinks she is 'in charge' but you are correct that laughing when they do something wrong is not the right thing to do -although I hear you on that because I often have to 'hold' my laughter inside and even turn around when they do something so very sassy that you can't help but be amused by it.

As to Jackie's behavior, I have a little dog that does the same thing! She climbs on my chest when I am sitting up in bed watching TV and puts the side of her face and neck against my mouth so I would give her 'butterfly' kisses and, when I stop, she turns to look at me and 'plants' her face harder against mine :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Myrtle tells me no and throws things. She zooms my aunt and pulls her hair any chance she gets. She has been flying by and knocking Rainbow off the top of her cage. If I do something nice for Rainbow, she bites me. One day she bit my ear with a fly by and brought blood. She has been punishing me with her bites.

This is the same bird that sits on my shoulder and tells me she is a "pretty pretty girl". She sits on my shoulder while I am walking around and hangs on my back while I am working.

She has only had two days of showing she is hormonal but will copy Rainbows noise. So I don't think it is hormones. She lets me scratch her head when she is hormonal.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am

Sound like it's going to be a hard season
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am

Well, I think she IS hormonal because mine are. Zeus and Precie already have a nest and she has already laid in it [but she hasn't tried to incubate] and, although Mami and Naida haven't laid yet, they are having sex regularly so...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 am

Rainbow is hormonal and has been for a few months. There were only 2 days that she kind of showed signs.

So far there is only one pair of Cockatiels hormonal. I don't understand it. They must be old. I have other pairs. I don't know which pair it is but I always hear the same voices.

Poor Tommy is still keeping as close to Tammy as he can. I think the only solution is to get a female Latino to upset things again. I have not yet found one who needs rescued.

Jackie has been running in to my lips. I have wood on the top of the cage for them to play on. It is even with my face and Jackie has turned my kisses into a game.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:03 am

I have been hearing but not seeing a cockatiel outside. I counted mine and they are all here this time. Could it be Max coming back to visit? I will put a cage out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am

liz wrote:I have been hearing but not seeing a cockatiel outside. I counted mine and they are all here this time. Could it be Max coming back to visit? I will put a cage out.

I wonder what other birds might sound like a cockatiel?
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm

I doubt it's Max, Liz. And, as John mentioned, it might be a wild bird that sounds like a tiel - or it might be a tiel that flew away from its home and got lost. Try putting some seed on a platform you can see from your windows and checking it out every now and then to see which birds come to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 am

A platform is a good idea. I will try it.

I got home late last night at about 8 pm. The Cockatiel light had been off for a good while. They did not get supper since my daughter cannot be trusted to do things on time. They always have extra grain and veggies so I thought I would just feed them early this morning. When they heard my voice their dark room became really noisy and they hung on the door to see where I was. I was going to turn on the overhead light and give them about 15 minutes to eat. When I opened the door I was mugged and one of them flew at my belly. I caught her and she automatically perched on my finger. What a shock and wonderful surprise. It was Lacy (the one with missing toes) that I had not worked with. How could such a beautiful bird become a throw away that I rescued after someone had worked with her.
I have her now and will make up for anything she went through. This morning she did not fly to me but walked up behind Jackie who was teasing me with kisses.

I was making Aunt B a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when I got distracted then had to go back to it. One corner of a slice of bread was missing and Rainbow was flapping her wings for her share.

My neighbor has put her Cockatiels out on her screened porch. Rainbow has been climbing to my window to call out to them. Myrtle of course hangs upside down from the curtain rod to see them.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care