Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:13 am

Yes, I have. But do you remember the lyrics? He hated that name and had to fight about it his entire life! Pretty little girl tiels don't deserve such a fate, my friend.

Liz, I am so very unoriginal when it comes to names that every single pearl tiel I've had, has had the same name: Perlita (little pearl in Spanish).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:13 pm

I hear you, but I really don't think that the bird would have to fight over a name and don't think that they care what they are called as long as it is consistent. I think the male vs. female name is an entirely human thing. The whole thing is because I didn't notice that they were both females to begin with.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Lizz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:31 pm

I thought about naming her Pearl but then the only other name that came to mind was Minnie. That would have caused trouble with Rambo because my mother's name was Dominica which was shortened to Minnie.

I named her Lacy from her appearance. Then all I could come up with is Cagney.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Well perhaps these will make up for my overlooking that they were both females.

Names: Gem, Ariel, Cece, Cyndy, Della, Erin, Fey, Heidi, Jinn, Kylie, Moira

Hope these make up for my oversight and maybe will prove useful, if not now, perhaps later.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Lizz » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:30 pm

Thank you. I'll keep them in mind.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:25 pm

Wolf wrote:I hear you, but I really don't think that the bird would have to fight over a name and don't think that they care what they are called as long as it is consistent. I think the male vs. female name is an entirely human thing. The whole thing is because I didn't notice that they were both females to begin with.

Of course it's a human thing! Not only a human thing but a language thing because, for example, the name we use for girls: Andrea, is actually a man's name in Italian :lol: I change the male names of hens but I always make them so they sound almost the same so as not to confuse them but you are absolutely right that I do it for my benefit alone, they couldn't care less :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:45 pm

Maybe I should change Maggie's name. I could give her a pretty name like Bindi and maybe those two boys would treat her better. Would you believe that Shadow is now singing to the new girls and turning his back on Maggie?

I plan to introduce them by opening both cages and letting them get worn out. I usually get the first step up that way.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:10 pm

At least I saved them from the life they had and prevented them from being passed around.
Adding them to my flock hasn't helped my flock any. Cagney is a boy and Lacy is a girl. So now I am searching for a single male and a single female. If they don't sort themselves out with that then they will just be a flock. Eight is my max.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 am

Liz, wait about 6 months. Flock dynamics are not settled in a few weeks, it takes months for them to find what I call 'their spot'. And this time of the year, they are not really interested in pairing up - or, at least, they shouldn't be.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Cagney and Lacy have already adjusted. They had sex all day yesterday. Cockatiels have noisy sex.
Poor little Maggie is still in the corner alone. I am the only one she talks to.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care