Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:59 am

I am so sorry about your health problems, Liz! Back pain is a real bummer! I have had problems since I was 12 years old so I sympathize with you. I really do not think that Rambo is a male... And, yes, they can be a bit of a pain when they insist on loving us and we are in pain. I don't allow the birds into my bedroom but I get dogs and cats all over the bed :D

Hope you feel better real soon!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:48 am

Thank you. I just have to go with the flow.

With Myrtle's first hormonal experience I realized that Rambo is female. It does not make any difference to me except for the jealousy. He has been called boy for so long that he is offended if I call him girl. I tried to change his/her name to Rainbow but he took offence to that as if I mispronounced his name.

Rambo and Myrtle are both free roaming like the dogs and cats. I never shut my bedroom door because of it. They will just stand there and scratch the door. With the parrots they will try to chew their way in.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:09 pm

:lol: Yes, they would!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:20 am

I don't know what is up with Rambo. He started yesterday in rare form.

I always give them a piece of nut with their breakfast and alternate the kind. I handed Rambo a piece of walnut yesterday. He took it and threw it back at me. He was in the mood for a cashew.

While in the shower I looked out on the floor. Rambo was there doing his shower dance: Lift one wing then the other and lift the tail then repeat. I had to hurry with my shower so he could have his.

I had to close him in his cage because he was under foot while I was cleaning. No sooner than the door to the cage closed did he start yelling "LET ME OUT."

He has also decided that the door to the bathroom is not large enough so he has been adjusting the door frame. Myrtle destroys from above but Rambo considers base boards part of his domain.

Rambo is back to following me around the house. I have to slide my feet when I walk so I won't step on him.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:59 pm

:lol: The utter joy of living with parrots!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Re: Rainbow & Myrtle with Cockatiels

Postby liz » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:48 am

Well Rambo is letting me call her Rainbow. He has always told me off when I tried before. How dare I get her name wrong. I am teaching myself to say she instead of he.

I watch TV in my bedroom since Aunt Betty takes over the one in the living room and I am tired of CNN. Rainbow has gotten so cute. She climbs the side of the bed and sits on my chest where she will take her nap.

I have had to block her from the bathroom. She not only chewed on the wall behind the toilet but started on my cabinets. Being blocked out she tried to chew her way in so I need to block the door way too. The other day while I was in there she came in quietly trying to get behind the toilet. I had to run her out quite a few times. The last time I told her to get out she started toward the door. She then started slowly walking backward so I would think she was going out. She is so smart she keeps me on my toes all the time.

Myrtle is starting to accept me playing with Rainbow. She has not thrown a fit for a while now. She is more standoffish which she was not before. It feels strange.

Tweet has given up on nesting. Since she was the only one doing it I am good until spring.

Gimpy now talks to me when I go in the room but still won't come to me. He is usually the first to get to the food maybe because the others allow him to or don't want knocked down by him. They have been really tolerant of him and treats him like an equal flock member. When he lands on the food tray it is with his belly instead of his feet. He does skid and has skid into other cockatiels in his landing. They just pick themselves up and continue eating as if it is a common thing. He is now talking to me when I talk to him and will get closer to do it.

Jackie was very talkative yesterday. She called me to her and wanted to hold a conversation. She was only about an inch from my face and wanted to give me a kiss but did not quite have enough nerve yet.

Phoenix does not fly. He climbs down the cage to go to the food tray. Twice now I have scooped him to save him the trouble of climbing. He was scared the first time but allowed me to help him the second time. I am excited. I thought he would never go near another human again.

Maggie (the breeder bird who was given up because she would not take another mate after hers died) has accepted that Andy is just not going to go away. He is never more than a few inches from her.

Jackie and Lacy have not taken another mate after they lost their males. Neither one has been able to get rid of Flutter and just have to put up with him.

Tommy still hangs around with Tammy and Shadow in hopes he can win her back. I am considering rescuing a female yellow cockatiel. Sweetie was yellow. Her passing really upset the fruit basket and caused trouble in the flock. I hope things will settle with a yellow cockatiel.

Amos has done a lot of singing to the females. He gets right in their faces to sing to them.

Update on my furry kids: We had to rehome Butters the cat because he was picking on the girls and they were staying away from home. Aunt Betty has not realized yet that he is gone.

A neighbor turned us in for having horses near her house. They had to be moved. The hardest part was separating Indy the horse from Jake the dog. Jake wanted in the trailer and Indy would not get in without him. Rachel had to put Jake in the barn. The horses accepted their new place but Jake is the one I worry about. He has been depressed and just laying in the middle of the yard. I am thinking of a miniature goat to keep him company. Goats want to play all the time and it would lift Jakes spirit.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Everything seems to be going well with your guys, Liz. Have you tried to give your amazons large boxes of hard cardboard so they chew on them instead of the walls and woodwork? And your tiels seem to have settled into a nice flock, too! But, oh, geez, I am so sorry you had to rehome the cat and move the horses somewhere else. Doesn't Jake have another dog to chummy up to? Poor thing, they do get very attached to their companions... Rocky was VERY attached to Mikey - so much so that, when Mikey was no longer walking and had to stay downstairs at night, he chose to stay with him instead of coming to the bedroom with the other dogs. I was worried when we had to finally put Mikey down last December that Rocky, who is also old (18 now) and had lived his entire life with Mikey was going to go into a decline but, aside from having to put a leash on him the first two nights to bring him upstairs, he adapted quite well. Now, I wish I had left him in the kitchen because he is becoming incontinent and almost every single morning pees all the way down the stairs and across the living, dining room and kitchen on his way to the backyard (and, needless to say, washing floors at 6 am is not what I would call my cup of tea!) but, the other night, I decided not to call him to come upstairs to see if he would stay but, as soon the other dogs started to leave the kitchen, he got up on his wobbly legs and went over to the door where he stood looking at me with such a pitiful expression on his face that I just resigned myself to the continuation of dawn floor washings...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Jake is a very big boxer. The terriers are only about 25 pounds and afraid of him. The three little girls have no fear so I can't trust them. They want to play with Jake and will if they can sneak in his field. I am just afraid that these stupid little girls will do something to startle Jake and he react on reflex. He bit me this last summer on reflex when I stupidly picked up his bone when putting him back in his lot. He said he was sorry though.

He is old and I don't know how long he has. He does play with the girls through the fence. I don't want to get another dog because they get so attached. I thought if I had a miniature goat that it would be easy and happy to join with other goats when Jake is gone. Every one loves the miniatures.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:29 pm

I changed the title to Rainbow & Myrtle but it only showed up once and went back to Rambo & Myrtle.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:09 am

Rainbow has always loved cardboard boxes. She would even get excited a squeal when she sees me getting her a new one. I am still having trouble with bugs. I am starting to believe that the house is held together with bug poop. With birds in the house it is hard to kill the bugs. Bugs like cardboard too. Even the box with their toys in it are infested and had to be changed to a plastic bin.
I have been using bug bate on sticky paper. I collect a lot over night but then just as many the next night. I have to get my sh.t together and get rid of them before it gets too cold to put my birds out.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care