Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:41 am

I am so glad that things are going better with Aunt B! And, yes, they do HATE it when their routine changes! And most especially if the change is less time with their human! But they are also all on a short fuse this time of the year...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:39 am

So far I have picked up 12 disgarded eggs. The only one trying to nest is Louise. I thought she was too young to want to nest.

Rainbow loves my ankle. Myrtle loves my neck.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:49 am

Louise would be too young in the wild but, in captivity, everything gets skewed and 'teenager birds' want to have sex as soon as they start feeling the merest 'itch' :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am

I have not seen her mate. There is no one else helping her nest. I can usually hear them mating but I have not been home much. Aunt B wants me to spend my days with her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:23 am

Louise has given up her nest. No one is nesting now.

We have two half grown black kitties that we got from the local shelter. (We went for one but could not leave the other in the cage beside her.) I could see one but could only hear the other. I looked everywhere and decided it was in the dining room. While looking around I realized that Myrtle was sitting on top of a cabinet and had not moved.

You guessed it. Myrtle had opened the door for the cat to get in the cabinet then played innocent that she didn't know where she was.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 am

:lol: She is so smart! And, yes, kittens LOVE 'caves' - I always keep a couple of boxes for them because they like nothing better than sitting or sleeping in them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sat May 18, 2019 6:55 am

Myrtle learned a new word. Added to "move it" when I want the dogs to get out and not slack she picked up the word "out". I don't have a doggie door right now so move my dogs to my sons house while I am away visiting Aunt B. While I am talking to the dogs, Myrtle has picked up "Move it. OUT".

Rainbow is coming back to being vocal again. In her step stool card board boxes I can hear her talking. Some times she just makes noises but I always know where she is.

Myrtle has her own toys but has been sneaking into Rainbows cage to play with her toys. It is the first time since I got her that she would go in a cage. I pretend that I don't know where she is and just don't look at her.

Louise is still trying to nest. I don't see that she has a mate and the eggs are not fertile. I am letting her keep her nest and go through until she gives it up.

As soon as my life calms down I will take my Zons in for checkups.

I have not had time to do anything but keep the kitchens and bathrooms clean and care for the pets. By evening I am really clumsy. Charles has been feeding Jake for me in the evenings. If I fall out there, Jake will lick me to death before I can call Charles. (we do not have home phones but keep cell phones on us at all times)

Aunt B has decided not to get the next surgery. She has not yet healed from the first. She says as soon as she can walk again that she is coming home.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 18, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, my zons have abandoned their nests, too. But they are still chewing and stuff - they must be in between the first and second clutch, I think. I once read that, for canaries, it's 14 days but it must be longer for amazons... I wish we knew as much about parrots as we do about canaries.

Bless Aunt B! Is it even possible that she could come home?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun May 19, 2019 4:28 am

I don't see her coming home. She has to learn to walk again before I can bring her home. She says she will learn to walk but is not doing anything to help herself and just lays in bed in the same position all day.
She is not social so never wants to leave the room. The CNAs have been putting her in a wheel chair while they fix her bed and puts her out in the day room for a few hours each day. She does not like it but if she can't walk they can put her anywhere. Non of the wheel chair have foot pedals. Some get around by walking while still sitting. She won't try it.
One of the CNAs has been really mean to her verbally. I need to get that CNA in line or will have to report her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 19, 2019 9:38 am

Oh, yes, there seems to be a general problem with staff in senior homes being nasty to the poor old people... I see news about this all the time and often wonder how can anybody be so mean? I mean, it requires a special kind of mean to be like that to somebody in such a vulnerable situation!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care