Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am

Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY in advance!

But not everybody wants hand-raised tiels… there are still people out there that loves them for what they are and do not need to have a bird step up to enjoy it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:39 am

Twila and Leroy are happy in the flock. It is hard to find them since now they are so blended in the flock.

Shadow has been bullying his mate Tammy. I have seen this before. Instead of getting away from him she is like the battered wife who stays with her husband.
I rescued Curley and Sunny when the owner could not care for them. Curley was raised with Rambo and was socialized like Rambo. His cage door was always open and he could go anywhere in the house. When they gave him Sunny the cage door was closed. I think he took his captivity out on Sunny.

When I got them Sunny had feathers pulled out of her and she looked really bad. I split them up but Sunny kept calling to him. I did rehome her just so she could not see Curley. The woman had two males and one fell in love at first sight. He claimed her as soon as she was put in the cage. So it had a happy ending.

I don't know what to do about Shadow and Tammy. She has plenty of room to get away from him but tries to stay with him. Some of her tail feathers have been pulled out.

Does any one have an idea of what to do? I would seperate her to a cage and give her a different male but I don't have an extra male.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:13 am

I am stumped because I've never had a tiel bully another one - they always seem to get along so well... I mean even the mate of the blind and paralyzed female I had was super nice to her. Is it possible that he wants a nest? My birds are all looking for nests, chewing like crazy and causing all kinds of trouble so maybe he wants a nest and her in it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 am

Like I said, I have seen this before. The male picking on the female.
There is no reason why she should take it. She has plenty of room to fly around but will keep trying to sit near him. He pecks at her but only her.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:41 am

Try giving them a nest and putting them in a large flight cage of their own so he doesn't feel threatened by the other birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:49 am

I'll try it.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:16 am

Twila and Leroy are in the middle of the flock but are always touching sides. I don't think they are happy in a flock.
Since they are two I would really like to rehome them. Is there any one out there who could take them. They are not bonded to me.
I am in Citrus county FL but will drive to give them a good home.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:51 am

I would wait a little longer, Liz. It takes parrots about two years to actually feel 100% comfortable in their new environment so give them a bit more time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:50 am

They are only 2 and I am 70. I will die in their life time. They would be better off rehomed to someone younger. Since we are not bonded they would easily fit into another family.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 am

Liz, ALL our birds will outlive us, not only those two tiels - well, in my case, maybe Mami will die before I do. It is your decision but let me tell you that I've had a GORGEOUS pair of amazons (healthy, wonderful plumage, female talks up a storm, great eaters and bathers) for adoption for about 6 months now and have not been able to find a single home that would work out for them... Everybody works full time so no solar schedule or has no real experience or feeds badly or just want the birds for entertainment ("do they talk?", etc. It's not easy finding a good home for parrots. Mind you, it's not that it is impossible to care for parrots correctly but most people can't or won't do it for one reason or another.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care