Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Hmmm, maybe you should have used a real cockatiel nest so he could be in the dark and develop his eyes correctly...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 am

I use a box that is more than half dark space with a small opening. His problem is that there are no siblings and he does not want to be alone. Columbus did the same but he had some feathers when he started coming out.

The Cockatiels are loose in a room that they do not know. They are mostly staying on the floor in a cluster. When I open the door the cluster moves out of the way. Because they are clustered they feel secure and I am able to touch each one.
Baby loves to be held and have his head scratched which is hard since he is bald. I just rub his head with one finger.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Yes, but the cockatiels nests have the opening high so the babies would have to be able to climb (which they can't when they are very small) in order to get to it and leave the nest. They are made that way on purpose because that is the way a tiel would make a nest in the wild. The adults don't have perches they could climb to get high up? It's stressing for them to be on the floor all the time...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tman007 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:14 pm

I have an idea why not get a small soft stuff animal an but it with him so he can cuddle up to it.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby liz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 am

That is a good idea.

This is a new twist on my flock. In my home I have a screen door on their room. Here they are behind a door and loose in the room. When I open the door they flock to me like little chickens. I put their food tray on the bed. They can all get to it by flying, climbing the side of the bed or climbing the cage pushed up against the bed.
Phoenix cannot fly due to his wing mutilation but he can climb. I guess he thought it was too much work and stayed by my feet as if waiting for something. He would not step up or be scooped so I just picked him up with one hand and put him on the bed. Now he comes to me expecting me to pick him up. Tommy thought he was getting special treatment so he stayed by my feet too. He does step up but I picked him up the same way as Phoenix and that is what he wanted. It is like all of a sudden they wanted to be my friends.
The baby comes to me to be picked up when I go in the room. He is so funny looking right now.

I have to order more eggs. Because they are loose they find nooks and crannies and want to build nests.
Bad boy Flutter is going to get his butt kicked. While a pair is mating he tries to join in. I also saw him come out running from under a sheet that I used to protect things in the room from poop with another chasing him. He needs to work on finding a mate and settling down.. There are eligible females in the flock.
I wonder if this goes on in the wild flocks. This is a real Payton Place.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:42 am

That is a good idea.

This is a new twist on my flock. In my home I have a screen door on their room. Here they are behind a door and loose in the room. When I open the door they flock to me like little chickens. I put their food tray on the bed. They can all get to it by flying, climbing the side of the bed or climbing the cage pushed up against the bed.
Phoenix cannot fly due to his wing mutilation but he can climb. I guess he thought it was too much work and stayed by my feet as if waiting for something. He would not step up or be scooped so I just picked him up with one hand and put him on the bed. Now he comes to me expecting me to pick him up. Tommy thought he was getting special treatment so he stayed by my feet too. He does step up but I picked him up the same way as Phoenix and that is what he wanted. It is like all of a sudden they wanted to be my friends.
The baby comes to me to be picked up when I go in the room. He is so funny looking right now.

I have to order more eggs. Because they are loose they find nooks and crannies and want to build nests.
Bad boy Flutter is going to get his butt kicked. While a pair is mating he tries to join in. I also saw him come out running from under a sheet that I used to protect things in the room from poop with another chasing him. He needs to work on finding a mate and settling down.. There are eligible females in the flock.
I wonder if this goes on in the wild flocks. This is a real Payton Place.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Well, all those dark places under the sheets must look pretty good to them... In the wild, they choose a mate when they first become sexually mature and stick with it for the rest of their lives so there is no real drama unless two young males want the same female but, as it is always the hen who chooses that's about the extent of the drama.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:32 am

When the original nest got dirty I replaced it with a soda box. It gave him more area and had the lip that holds the cans in place. I thought it would also hold the baby in place. He has learned how to flip it on it's side and get out.

Phoenix is continuing to come to me to be picked up and put to were I think he wants to go.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:04 am

My little flock is twisted and they are not following in what I thought Cockatiels do.
The other night my son heard knocking and followed the sound to the Cockatiel door. When he shined a flashlight under the door he saw a bunch of little feet. Birds can't see in the dark so why were they up and why were they knocking on the door?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Tommy and Tammy are nesting.
liz