Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rainbow, Myrtle & Cockatiels

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Rambo &Myrtle update

Postby cml » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:51 pm

liz wrote:There is no Amazon noise in the house right now. When I looked for them, they are in the sunroom. They are working together destroying some cardoard boxes I put out there. All I hear is the sweet sound of cockatiels and a lovie chirp now and then.

Peace wonderful peace. I was hoping they would get along like this but it sure didn't look like it for a long time.

Mine are also especially good friends when being up to mischief together :lol: !
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Myrtle is my baby and since I have only had her a year I believe she had no life before. She came to me as emotional infant. She learns new things every day and I love to watch her while she is learning. It is like a toddler discovery the world with each new flower.

I have had Rambo for quite a while and am used to him. He learns new things but takes them in stride instead of getty excited. I love him dearly and I guess I am just treating him like my big boy.
He does things that are usual for him but you don't know them.

I have to tell you how I woke up this morning.
I heard Rambo yell "woo hoo" and it scared me awake. Rambo only says that when he finds that someone left the bathroom door open. Sure enough he had told on himself. There he was in the middle of the bathroom on his way to tare the wallpaper behind the toilet. The funny part is when I catch him. I ask him "what do you think you are doing?" He always stops and looks at me to see if I really know what he is up to. I told him "you know you are not alowed in here. Get out." He slowling started to the door. I told him "hurry up and shake a tail feather". Being pigeon toed that is exactly what he did. There is not much that is funnier than watching Rambo on the run.

two mornings ago I found Rambo sleeping on Rachel's hip waiting for her to wake up and play.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ljeanne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:58 pm

:D
ljeanne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: timneh grey, senegal parrot, and budgies
congo grey and blue front amazon, ducorps cockatoo, and princess of whales parakeet
Flight: No

Postby marie83 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 am

Lol.

Liz your birds are such characters :)

You can tell how much you love them just from the way you write about them.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 am

I bought a shower perch for Rambo a while back but he still prefers catching the water coming off the shower curtain. He leans in on the curtain and lets the water run over him and flaps around.

Myrtle had never had a shower before she came to me. I put her on the perch and let the soft spray come down on half the perch. She would catch the edge of the spray.

When she grew her flight wings back it was another matter. How do you make a flighted bird take a shower? She has not had one for a year. Sometimes I try to mist her but she flighs off. I gave them a big dog bowl with 2 inches of water in it. Rambo acts like a kid in the baby pool. Myrtle won't go near it. What can I do?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby terri » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am

Chase her around with the waterbottle she needs a bath :D
terri
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Stephoklein » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 am

I love reading these updates and stories!!! Beautiful birds an keep them coming! :thumbsup:
:sun: - Maxine
:eclectus: - Odie
Stephoklein
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus and Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby liz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

terri - I tried that with the Tropical Rain spray. She flies faster than I can run.

Stepho - where is my help?
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby laducockatiel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:51 pm

Try putting her in her cage and closing the door. Then, when you spray her, don't spray directly onto her but spray above her and let the water slowly fall on her. Make sure the water is slightly warm. I did this with Ladu and now he loves to have mist showers. He didnt let me spray him out of the cage, but when I did it in his cage, he started spreading his wings so I could spray them and he started turning around so I could spray his whole body lol.Hope this helps :thumbsup:
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby marie83 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 pm

laducockatiel wrote:Try putting her in her cage and closing the door. Then, when you spray her, don't spray directly onto her but spray above her and let the water slowly fall on her. Make sure the water is slightly warm. I did this with Ladu and now he loves to have mist showers. He didnt let me spray him out of the cage, but when I did it in his cage, he started spreading his wings so I could spray them and he started turning around so I could spray his whole body lol.Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Lol, Harlie does that too then gets over excited and nearly falls of her perch because her balance is rubbish. She hated the spray to start off with too but she won't tolerate it unless she is in the mood for a bath. Ollie Hates the mister and he runs and hides as soon as I get the bottle. I've never tried to work on him to accept it because he will come in the shower or have a bath anyway.

Liz have you tried running the hoover directly before offering a bath/shower? It nearly always makes all the birds I've ever had want a bath. I have no idea why though but I've read it a few times elsewhere too.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care